Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards American Express Paying BA Amex with Curve and Barclaycard Avios

• Oneneil 4 posts

I spotted a facebook post a couple of days ago with someone suggesting they are collecting double miles.

I understand you can pay off your Amex bill each month using Curve (Metal) with the ‘fronted’ feature turned on. The Curve card is linked to your Barclaycard Avios and it appears as a regular transaction so generating points on Barclaycard as well as your Amex.

Anyone doing this?

I have read that you cannot pay off a Barclaycard or Virgin Atlantic card in this way as it is either blocked or it generates a cash advance fee (%) but a few are using this method for Amex payments.

Anyone doing this? Does it generate any extra fees (cash advance?) on your Barclaycard?

I pay off my cards in full each month and it does add an extra step, but it could be worth it as long as there are no extra fees.
    I was planning on subscribing to Avios this year (Explorer 100,000 avios at £899) to boost my balance as we have multiple 2-4-1 vouchers to use. I could now generate a significant amount of avios for £14.99 a month or £150 a year!

Harrods 120 posts

Don’t do this, mine went through as cash advance…

NorthernLass 7,463 posts

Don’t talk about fight club, check out the very long threads on here about various cards.

JDB 4,335 posts

With these ridiculous newbie posts thinking they have just invented the wheel and Amex/Barclaycard printing points like they are going out of fashion it feels rather like the shoeshine boys on Wall Street asking bankers for share tips in the run up to the Great Crash of 1929.

Oneneil 4 posts

Such arrogance and rudeness. Clearly a lack of kindness and class on these forums.
    Such a shame.

Did your parents never teach you manners? If you can’t say anything nice don’t say anything at all?

jamesturk 49 posts

That’s the attitude on here unfortunately Oneneil. If JDB had his/ her way… they would just do away with the forums and get everyone to read the t’s & c’s, and keep quiet!

Angelamc11 195 posts

That’s the attitude on here unfortunately Oneneil. If JDB had his/ her way… they would just do away with the forums and get everyone to read the t’s & c’s, and keep quiet!

I don’t think Oneneil’s post is directed at JDB here, as opposed to the post calling him an idiot.

I personally think having a range of perspectives in a forum is healthy, if we also thought the same, then understanding would be limited.

Dudulle 47 posts

Don’t do this, mine went through as cash advance…

Probably because of gobby people such as @Oneneil, who can’t just try things quietly but feel the need to shout about everything from the rooftops on public forums, wanting everyone but them to take the risk of being charged a cash advance fee. Idiot!

it barely even costs anything to try. the maximum I’ve seen is £5 minimum fee. Barclaycard has a 2.99 minimum fee. if that’s not worth it, especially considering the odds, collecting points that way is probably not worth it either.
    And for reference I got a £15 fee on my Barclaycard a few months ago as I forgot to change the underlying card on curve when prepaying another card so there are fees for at least some types of transactions. Was it amex? Maybe, maybe not. Try and see.

Points Hound 47 posts

With these ridiculous newbie posts thinking they have just invented the wheel and Amex/Barclaycard printing points like they are going out of fashion it feels rather like the shoeshine boys on Wall Street asking bankers for share tips in the run up to the Great Crash of 1929.

Wind your neck in @JDB, everybody is a newbie at some point. Less ‘looking down your nose’ favoured by some stern advice would be a wiser response for all of us.

Skywalker 693 posts

Oneneil – if you are keen to earn the points and you are not so bothered about the cash advance aspect, maybe try it and see.

If it posts as a cash advance, report back.

JDB 4,335 posts

Wind your neck in @JDB, everybody is a newbie at some point. Less ‘looking down your nose’ favoured by some stern advice would be a wiser response for all of us.

I have no issue with newbies asking simple questions, but as a matter of politeness and in fact in their own interest, I do feel they should look at the threads and the fantastic store of HfP articles first, rather than ask stuff that could be found in seconds – the search function works better than many suggest.

This is better for all as:-

A) sometimes the single question isn’t really the point and articles will give better, more informative more and complete answers

B) many of the questions relate to loopholes, ‘tricks’ or opportunities that if mentioned too often will soon get closed.

C) there is clearly some ‘newbie’ question fatigue such that more experienced/knowledgeable readers don’t bother to respond to them, so the questions get answered by the less knowledgeable and, in the areas I know about, I think about 1/3 of the questions get answered either wrongly or with answers that are so incomplete as to be misleading.

If you are new to this game, the HfP archive is a fantastic resource…

Harrier25 849 posts

Oneneil – if you are keen to earn the points and you are not so bothered about the cash advance aspect, maybe try it and see.

If it posts as a cash advance, report back.

…and if it doesn’t then don’t report back and enjoy the new route, quietly.

Oneneil 4 posts

Thanks all for the informative and helpful responses I appreciate it. Thanks for restoring some faith in the members of this group (but not all).
    I suggest those that post less helpful and abusive comments reflect. We were all forum newbies once. Would they be as rude in person? I doubt it. I think the most common term for these members is trolls?

I maybe a newbie on the forums but have been a HfP ‘member’ for over 6 years, with numerous cards (Platinum, BA premium Amex, Barclaycard avios etc). I have a good stock of Avios as well as a fair few amex points.

Manners maketh the man. Clearly a few people who are not men!

Harrier25 849 posts

I apologise for calling you an idiot. It wasn’t called for and was very wrong of me, but please stop posting nonsense. Much appreciated.

Harrier25 849 posts

BA Flyer IHG Stayer 2,048 posts

If you want to do this then do it. But don’t come back and complain when it comes back to bite you on your rear end and your curve account gets closed down.

Just ask all those creation card holders who had their accounts shut down for doing this sort of thing.

Giving you a warning isn’t rudeness it’s reality.

can 506 posts

I thought there were restrictions or moderations on newbies just for that purpose.

Carlos 758 posts

Six years on here? Surely you would have have an idea (and the consequences) and didnt need to go on Facebook?

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.