Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards American Express Paying council tax with Amex via PayPoint

• MattB 259 posts

My council says I can pay via card at the PO but I understand Amex is a no go.

The other option is paypoint but my bill says cash payment only using this – but is that retailer dependent? I’m sure I’ve read comments the the Co-op will accept it regardless?

NorthernLass 7,454 posts

Have you checked whether they take PayPal? Just paid mine for the year.

SteveJ 976 posts

It’s retailer dependent, most Coops accept Amex for paypoint

MattB 259 posts

It’s retailer dependent, most Coops accept Amex for paypoint

Thanks there’s a few near me I’ll give them a try

can 506 posts

I did it all the time. Coop, Budgens….

Alesio 26 posts

I pay all my bills at coop using paypoint, council tax, utilities, water and rent if you have a social housing landlord that takes payment via PP.

spiceke 20 posts

I pay all my bills at coop using paypoint, council tax, utilities, water and rent if you have a social housing landlord that takes payment via PP.

I popped into the local co-op today re thinking about paying my Council Tax in this way.

He thought there was a £100 limit on each transaction. Is this correct in your experience? If so, can you do multiple transactions in one visit?

I don’t appear to be able to find anything about limits on the PayPoint website

Many thanks

MattB 259 posts

Ive made one paypoint transaction so far (not at a coop), the lady wasn’t too sure initially but showed me the till saying up to £200.

can 506 posts

I once made a ~£450 single transaction at paypoint at Budgens.

Wally1976 188 posts

My council tax bill also says cash only at PayPoint but I just go to a co-op outside the area and pop my Amex in the card reader machine (without asking if it’s ok) and it works every time. Been doing it for years now and at several different co-ops. It’s limited to £200 per transaction for me.

0 post

I’ve thought about trying this since this chat started but the paypoint website is hopeless at explaining exactly how to use the system. Now I learn from here that the max transaction is £200. My monthly CT payment is over £300
    and I like to pay for 3 months at a time. I’m going to have to decide if 1500 avios is worth it!

Rui N. 827 posts

You can just ask for them to scan the bar code multiple times for £200 at a time. Then you pay in one go.

Sam 96 posts

One a semi-related note, when does council tax have to be paid? Anytime in the 22/23 tax year? I’m waiting for the Barclaycard to arrive to pay it off in one chunk

Rui N. 827 posts

It will say on your invoice. Mine is due on the 1st of the month (starting 1 April) over 10 months. But I’m guessing each council might be different.

• This reply was modified 54 years, 4 months ago by .
    Andrew. 478 posts

When discussing making payments at a Co-op, it’s really helpful to say which Co-op you are using.

There’s Scotmid, Midcounties, Lincolnshire, Heart of England, East of England, Central England, Southern, Clydebank, Co-operative Group and about half a dozen more. Each have their own till systems and processes – although they all have some form of Co-op logo outside.

SteveCroydon 65 posts

CO-OP definitely take Amex at their PayPoints. I’ve paid my TV Licence this way for years with a BA Amex, even though the payment slip says “cash only”. A couple of weeks ago I used my new Platinum Amex, although the first attempt was declined. A not so quick phone call to AX fixed that.
    I’ve asked my useless/bankrupt Croydon Council for a paying-in book so I can pay my CT via PP.
    The staff at CO-OP don’t read the paying-in slips. They scan it and take the payment.
    Most councils accept online payments for CT using Visa/MC, so the new Avios Barclaycard is an option.

WillPS 194 posts

When discussing making payments at a Co-op, it’s really helpful to say which Co-op you are using.

There’s Scotmid, Midcounties, Lincolnshire, Heart of England, East of England, Central England, Southern, Clydebank, Co-operative Group and about half a dozen more. Each have their own till systems and processes – although they all have some form of Co-op logo outside.

Co-op Group stores (with the retro looking logo) are the ones I seek.

Alan TJ 36 posts

CO-OP definitely take Amex at their PayPoints. I’ve paid my TV Licence this way for years with a BA Amex, even though the payment slip says “cash only”. A couple of weeks ago I used my new Platinum Amex, although the first attempt was declined. A not so quick phone call to AX fixed that.
    I’ve asked my useless/bankrupt Croydon Council for a paying-in book so I can pay my CT via PP.
    The staff at CO-OP don’t read the paying-in slips. They scan it and take the payment.
    Most councils accept online payments for CT using Visa/MC, so the new Avios Barclaycard is an option.

I am also with the useless/bankrupt CC. Can you not use the bar code that comes with the standard bill (it also says cash only).

Shazza12 47 posts

Paying rates in Northern Ireland worked for me last year at coop using Amex – lady in the shop had to do it in separate £200 transactions and gave me a summary/total at the end. Hopefully it works again this year.

SteveCroydon 65 posts

@Alan TJ
    Very sorry to hear that you also live in Croydump.
    The two small QR-like bar codes on the standard bill just seem to be for postal address sorting purposes. I’m currently on DD, so there’s no payment slip attached. I’ve emailed the worthless bar stewards twice in the last month – guess what, no response!! I’ve told them I’m closing the bank account after the May payment, so no more CT unless they respond. The online options do not include switching to a payment book. Of course all of the processing is out-sourced to some other bunch of cretins!
    Croydon Council is not fit for any purpose and should be completely dissolved and a new body formed with very few of the old staff, management and councillors.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.