Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards American Express Paying off BAPP with debit card in husbands name

• Ingking 38 posts

I recall seeing that amex were making issues when paying off your cc from a debit card not in your name.
    Would this still be an issue if I am using my husbands debit card?
    TIA

sloth 315 posts

Wouldn’t it just be easier, and make more sense, to transfer the funds to your current account and then pay the card of from there in the normal way…?

TooPoorToBeHere 238 posts

I paid my OH’s BAPP card down to zero using my own debit card, so it appears it’s not a problem.

If it is – just use BACS/FPS from his account?

Rob
    HfP Staff
    2,198 posts

I pay off my wife’s BAPP all the time – no issues.

BA Flyer IHG Stayer 2,077 posts

Isn’t tne the issue AMeX was having was people paying their personal credit card bills from a business bank account rather than say a couple paying each others card bills using their personal bank accounts.

Ingking 38 posts

Thanks for all the replies!

John 1,000 posts

I’m not sure Amex can tell who owns the debit card – the issue is if you get a refund on a transaction you’ve already paid off, and ask for the money to be sent back to you, Amex wants to send it to the bank account associated with the debit card used to pay off that particular transaction (at least as far as they can be matched up) and occasionally I have heard Amex ask for a bank statement

JDB 4,378 posts

I’m not sure Amex can tell who owns the debit card – the issue is if you get a refund on a transaction you’ve already paid off, and ask for the money to be sent back to you, Amex wants to send it to the bank account associated with the debit card used to pay off that particular transaction (at least as far as they can be matched up) and occasionally I have heard Amex ask for a bank statement

Amex (and any merchant taking cards as payment) can see the name of the owner of the card in the merchant management system. The issue is principally that Amex wants to, and is required to take steps to know the source of funds that are paying off card accounts and they periodically have compliance blitzes. They are fine eg with someone paying off their partner’s Amex, but they want you to let them know to avoid checks later.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.