Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards American Express Paypoint outlet or Payzone outlet if I want to use Amex?

• QwertyKnowsBest 301 posts

Looking to pay Council Tax with Amex and Paypoint Outlet or Payzone Outlet. No experience with using these before so looking for advice.

Can I use Amex and make payment in full? Not really up for calling into a local Spa or Morrison’s every month to make smaller payments (I know my points collection commitment is lacking 🙂

Thank you

sloth 315 posts

paying Amex at Paypoint in a Blue (not Green) CO-OP is easy, just take the bill with you and say you want to pay x off this bill. They have a floor limit of say £3k and Paypoint itself has a £200 per transaction limit but the checkout person can just pay say 8x£200 at the same time and then charge your Amex £1.6k. I have done this numerous times in 2 different blue Co-Op’s with no issue

Make sure you get the receipt that shows you have paid 8 x £200 also

davefl 1,220 posts

Paypoint and Payzone are different companies. Look on the your Ctax bill as to which your council will accept.

I thought I could pay my water bill with Payzone, but they’ve closed every outlet within miles of me.

Paypoint have lots of places, but you’ll need to try them out – Post offices wont accept Amex for Payzone, Co-Op will. I’m going to test out my local Texaco station and Asda next month.

zapato1060 637 posts

PP works in Co Op well. Weirdly mine have a 500 rather than 200 limit though.

davefl 1,220 posts

DP – Local Texaco station happy to take Amex for paypoint/ctax. I asled him what the limit was and he had no idea.

QwertyKnowsBest 301 posts

Thanks for all.

FYI – Paypoint worked in a Green Co-op. No idea what the difference between a Blue and Green CoOp is.

andeh3 14 posts

My council only uses Payzone. I’ve just tried my local corner shop to pay council tax. I tried an Amex but the card machine rejected it.

Has anyone tried a Tesco shop as I note some of those are Payzone outlets?

Alesio 26 posts

My local coop have a £150 ceiling and would then have to do another transaction and depending on the shop worker one adds all the transactions onto one payment others do it separately which is very long.

Tesco on the other hand has a £100 ceiling and therefore don’t go there.

Andrew. 482 posts

Thanks for all.

FYI – Paypoint worked in a Green Co-op. No idea what the difference between a Blue and Green CoOp is.

There are lots of different Co-ops.

Sounds like you have both Central England Co-op (Green) and Co-operative Group (Blue) near you.

Although it might be a Mid-Counties co-op which is also blue.

icemankaka 12 posts

My local coop have a £150 ceiling and would then have to do another transaction and depending on the shop worker one adds all the transactions onto one payment others do it separately which is very long.

I tried recently and it doesnt work. they say it wouldnt machines rejected it

SteveJ 979 posts

I tried recently and it doesnt work. they say it wouldnt machines rejected it

Try another COOP, definitely works, many including me have put thousands through Amex this way.

Interesting on the limits, I thought the £150 limit was council determined, not COOP. Thankfully my local will happily run 3×150 and charge the Amex once for £450.

zio 249 posts

Yes, keep trying. I am equidistant from two Co-ops. One won’t take any card payments at its Paypoint. The other is very accommodating 😀

Wally1976 188 posts

I have no trouble using Amex this way in a co-op even though my council stipulates that PayPoint is only for cash payments. I just have to make sure I use a co-op that’s outside my area 😁. Always hit the £200 limit but they just do multiple payments.

Caps44 26 posts

Annoyingly can’t do the above for both Thames Water and Westminster Council Tax.

The Original Nick 112 posts

I’ve never tried paying my water bill at Paypoint locations. I’ve been paying my council tax at paypoint using my Amex card for donkeys years. I’m going to look into this.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.