Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards American Express Platinum Charge vs Platinum Credit card

• DJ 93 posts

Hi all,

I currently have the following:
    – Gold Charge
    – Plat Credit

I remembered that the new Plat Credit only has one free supplementary card holder included, which is a major downgrade from the Charge card version.

My Gold Charge card will be up for renewal next year.. So I’m considering that I might just upgrade the Gold Charge to a Plat charge, and close the Plat credit card.

I guess .. would you say the additional supplementary card holder slots is worth more than the S75 protection?

Thanks

Andrew J 769 posts

I think no longer possible – Platinum Charge is now closed to new applications including upgrades.

DJ 93 posts

@Andrew J, Dang, I hoped the upgrade would remain possible for existing Gold charge cardholders.

GS 3 posts

Could anyone confirm they have received the 40000 points advertised for upgrading from Gold Credit to Platinum Credit if they had the upgrade bonus in the past!
    Much appreciated

GS 3 posts

Can anyone please confirm that you get the welcome bonus for upgrading from Gold credit to Platinum credit if you had the upgrade bonus in the past?Amex upgrade page does not mention anything about it

al_wiltshire 27 posts

@Andrew J, Dang, I hoped the upgrade would remain possible for existing Gold charge cardholders.

I certainly have upgraded from the ‘green’ charge card to ‘platinum’ charge card since the introduction of the new platinum credit card. I did it about a month after the platinum charge card was ended for new applicants. I did the upgrade all online, but I can’t remember the link. Might be worth a phone call … or, if you’re stuck, I’ll have another attempt at finding the link.

BuildBackBetter 705 posts

Can anyone please confirm that you get the welcome bonus for upgrading from Gold credit to Platinum credit if you had the upgrade bonus in the past?Amex upgrade page does not mention anything about it

Plat credit is a new product. Doubt there would be many who have upgraded twice.

GS 3 posts

Hi BuildBackBetter
    I remember upgrading in the past from Green to Platinum Charge,I am now researching whether upgrading from Gokd Ctedit to Platinum Credit will have the promised points awarded!

JDB 4,374 posts

My wife did the upgrade last month from PR Gold credit to Plat Credit and received the 40k almost immediately. In respect of the ‘once only’ aspect the text is fairly clear that the restriction applies to more than this new upgrade option, but how it works in practice???

“1. The 40,000 Membership Rewards bonus points will be awarded onto your Account once you have been approved and you have spent and charged £4,000 within the first three months of Cardmembership. It is only available if you have upgraded from the American Express Preferred Rewards Gold Credit Card product. This introductory offer is subject to change and will be withdrawn at any time. Please note that it can take up to 60 days for bonus points to be awarded to your Account. You will not receive this bonus if you have ever received an Upgrade bonus before. Offer ends 11 October 2022 11:59pm.”

Ash 621 posts

@jdb was your wife a light medium or heavy user of her preferred gold? Reason i ask is my wife wasn’t offered the upgrade offer. Wondering if its linked to usage?

JDB 4,374 posts

@jdb was your wife a light medium or heavy user of her preferred gold? Reason i ask is my wife wasn’t offered the upgrade offer. Wondering if its linked to usage?

She was a precise £15k user for the bonus and June anniversary so upgrade no brainer. You don’t need an upgrade offer in the account. See if this link works

https://www.americanexpress.com/amex/en-gb/benefits/upgrade/platinum/

Ash 621 posts

Thanks. We tried that link and didnt work. She has the correct card for it. Asked amex via chat and sent them the link, they said its a targeted upgrade.oh well. She’ll cancel the card before anniversary now.

JDB 4,374 posts

Thanks. We tried that link and didnt work. She has the correct card for it. Asked amex via chat and sent them the link, they said its a targeted upgrade.oh well. She’ll cancel the card before anniversary now.

There has been some suggestion that you may need to have had the account open for a year to be eligible; not sure if that is relevant to your wife’s situation.

DJ 93 posts

Just a wee update:

Managed to upgrade my existing Gold Charge Card to the Platinum charge card via the upgrade page with the 20k bonus point for 4k spending.

Have decided the “3x free additional cardholder” is more valuable.

sm 178 posts

Evening. Applied for platinum credit card today and got the dreaded ‘ your application is under review ‘ screen. Couple hours later an email came to ask for proof of salary ‘earnings, which I’ve uploaded. Can anyone tell me how quickly it might be approved/declined please. Trying to get the card for 8 days time 🙏 probably unrealistic hope!

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.