Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards American Express Platinum Cashback vs Preferred rewards gold

• SkelterHelter 2 posts

Hello,
    Trying to decide between these two. My take is that the 1.25% cashback after £10 000 overtakes the 1 point per £1 spend after around £20 000, and if you spend £40 000 or so in the year, the cashback card is better (especially as points usage comes out between 0.5p to perhaps 1p, unless buying business class tickets wholly with points).

The cashback card at £125 vs 30 000 points (perhaps worth around an average of £170 in value), somewhat offsets the above, though, as do the deliveroo vouchers if you use the £120 per year, and the free airport lounge access.

I ordered the cashback card though am now having seconds thoughts.

What do you think?

• This topic was modified 54 years, 4 months ago by .
    Carlos 758 posts

what if the shops you plan to spend 40,000 dont take amex?

Harrier25 852 posts

Personally, I dislike cashback cards. I don’t disagree with your in depth calculations as I haven’t reached for my calculator, but building up a mass of MR points is much more exciting to me and the fact that you have a massive amount of reward partners to choose from is a big plus too. Having a few hundred pounds credited to a credit card statement once a year just sounds rather dull and restrictive.

memesweeper 1,255 posts

Having a few hundred pounds credited to a credit card statement once a year just sounds rather dull and restrictive.

It’s also strictly annual (or was last time I checked). I’m often spending MRs before a year is up!

I’ve also swerved non-aspirational benefits like card credits in the past. However, with covid, a huge surplus of miles/points, and other limiting factors, I’ve resorted to “cashing out” through the Avios -> Nectar -> ebay/Sazbos route. However, I am now diligently adding the equivalent in cash to my savings pot in Chase every time I cash out, which is also where my Chase 1%s are going, and will be available to spend only on silly treats like holidays. Nothing sensible allowed.

Incidentally, if you are pushing over £ 20k/quarter you should look at the Business Gold. This outperforms any personal card for the heavy spender I believe.

Reney 768 posts

Does this account for the new gold card earning bonuses and having a gold card blocks you from future plat bonus but having the cash back does not.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.