Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards American Express Amex Platinum insurance – MASTER THREAD

Amex Platinum insurance – MASTER THREAD

• Ori

So reading through the thread and my understanding of the insurance policy it works like this.

So long as you pay for your trip on any Amex card on your account you are fully covered?
    Children who don’t have a card as they are too young or not additional card holders are covered no matter how you paid so long as you can provide receipts.

Additional card holders need to book on the card to get the full benefits of the insurance. Medical is always covered.

I tend to book on my BA premium card which also has the travel inconvenience cover, but regardless the platinum travel should cover everything anyway.

walace

So, here’s a pretty unique scenario for your thoughts on…

I had a small number of American Airlines miles so decided to use them for a car hire in Mallorca later this year through Avis. I had enough for the rental to be free so I have a full booking confirmation through from Rocketmiles (who run the hotel/car hire booking redemptions for American Airlines) but have no charges on any type of card.

Secondly, as it is technically booked from the USA I have the usual situation where all insurance is currently declined. Additionally the booking is visible on the US Avis website but the UK Avis site where I currently have an account does not recognise the booking, although I’m not too surprised by this.

Checking the Amex Platinum insurance documents I can see no issues with relying on their cover, but wanted to check thoughts around the fact I’ve not actually paid for this rental (although I will use the Platinum Amex for the security deposit) and whether Amex will or will not cover due to the booking technically being made outside of the UK.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.