Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards American Express Amex Platinum insurance – MASTER THREAD

• Angelamc11 195 posts

Hoping someone can advise. Im in Bucharest and our drinks were spiked,then we were kidnapped in a taxi and got robbed of our phones.thankfully they were the only thing of value we had on us.

I have minor injuries, broken nose etc. I didnt seek medical attention as too shook up and feeling ill.

I have a pokice report. Can anyone advise on insurance, I have bapp and plat insurance.

Tia

StanTheMan 217 posts

Hoping someone can advise. Im in Bucharest and our drinks were spiked,then we were kidnapped in a taxi and got robbed of our phones.thankfully they were the only thing of value we had on us.

I have minor injuries, broken nose etc. I didnt seek medical attention as too shook up and feeling ill.

I have a pokice report. Can anyone advise on insurance, I have bapp and plat insurance.

Tia

There’s something happening here. But what it is, aint exactly clear.

Angelamc11 195 posts

Tia

I dont know what you mean. Im asking advice regards travel insurance for stolen phones,and being kidnapped & mugged.

Guernsey Globetrotter 587 posts

Tia

I dont know what you mean. Im asking advice regards travel insurance for stolen phones,and being kidnapped & mugged.

They’re quoting a song lyric : https://tinyurl.com/25h7vbz9

Sorry to hear your experience, which sounds traumatic. The Plat insurance cover is a lot more extensive than the BAPP: Here’s a link to the UK policy, which may be helpful: https://tinyurl.com/mtfsercm

KEY INFORMATION – HOW TO CLAIM
    In order to report a non-emergency claim, please visit americanexpress.com/uk/insuranceportal or call 0800 917 8054 or in a medical emergency call +44 (0) 20 3126 4109.
    Please be ready to provide your Card number, which should be used as your reference number.

Angelamc11 195 posts

Tia

They’re quoting a song lyric : https://tinyurl.com/25h7vbz9

Sorry to hear your experience, which sounds traumatic. The Plat insurance cover is a lot more extensive than the BAPP: Here’s a link to the UK policy, which may be helpful: https://tinyurl.com/mtfsercm

KEY INFORMATION – HOW TO CLAIM
    In order to report a non-emergency claim, please visit americanexpress.com/uk/insuranceportal or call 0800 917 8054 or in a medical emergency call +44 (0) 20 3126 4109.
    Please be ready to provide your Card number, which should be used as your reference number.

Thank you. That’s helpful. 😊

Carlos 758 posts

Has anyone claimed over the phone/post?

zio 249 posts

My only claim using the Plat insurance was settled incredibly easily over one phone call. No documents needed at all. It was car hire related and all the extra costs were charged to the card so it was obvious what I was claiming.
    All in all I was extremely impressed.

OccasionallyFlyingBob 2 posts

Yes. I recently claimed over the phone for a very short notice flight cancellation (hey covid) where tickets were purchased on a BAPP card.

Tried the live-chat first. They said (kind of without pausing) to raise a dispute with the ticket purchase on the BAPP card (??). I said no and that I was enquiring about insurance via the platinum card…to which they then said words to the effect of not wanting to get involved in insurance matters. Interesting. I then phoned the concierge, got put to through to AXA and, short-story-even-shorter, got refunded days later (maybe minus a £50 excess). It was very easy.

Overall a very pleasant result and all due to having a platinum card, unlike what I’ve just read in that concierge-vs-restaurants thread.

Bob

nycvisa 11 posts

Hi – i am looking for the car hire insurance benefit at the Amex Platinum card and i can no longer find it. Can someone confirm that it still exists, and possibly show me a link?

Many thanks

FFoxSake 217 posts

Hi – i am looking for the car hire insurance benefit at the Amex Platinum card and i can no longer find it. Can someone confirm that it still exists, and possibly show me a link?

Many thanks

Answered in the other thread where you asked exactly the same question…
    https://www.headforpoints.com/forums/topic/uk-amex-platinum-car-rental-insurance/#post-445513

nycvisa 11 posts

Thanks a lot thats very helpful! With respect to the rental hire, does the insurance apply even if i paid for the car with another card? I didnt see it anywhere in the T&C that it must be paid with the platinum card, hence assumed it doesn’t have to be

Carlos 758 posts

P2 wants to cancel for 6 months and then sign up to Platinum again.. (not being utilised on flights or targets)
    would they be covered if purchasing a flight now, for a trip 7 months down the line…

i.e will there be platinum travel insurance on a flight when purchased 7 months ago on ‘an amex’

JDB 4,365 posts

P2 wants to cancel for 6 months and then sign up to Platinum again.. (not being utilised on flights or targets)
    would they be covered if purchasing a flight now, for a trip 7 months down the line…

i.e will there be platinum travel insurance on a flight when purchased 7 months ago on ‘an amex’

The card needs to be active at the time of the claim.

Carlos 758 posts

Thats the grey bit P2 is unclear about.. I have often heard as long as you paid for the flight with ‘an amex’ (i.e any amex) you are covered
    So by re-registering a month before travel, should meet the criteria or have I missed something?

JDB 4,365 posts

Thats the grey bit P2 is unclear about.. I have often heard as long as you paid for the flight with ‘an amex’ (i.e any amex) you are covered
    So by re-registering a month before travel, should meet the criteria or have I missed something?

Your policy is cancelled when you cancel your card. If you were burgled after you cancelled your home insurance policy, a theft claim also wouldn’t be considered.

If you subsequently reapply for a card and get a new policy it will then cover you for all the ‘during’ travel sections, but I’m not sure about the pre-travel ones. In the current environment, I would be a little wary of assuming you would automatically be granted a new card so soon after closing one.

Tony_D 32 posts

Do I need to pay the full amount of a trip using the Platinum card to receive the benefits. The Policy Terms and Conditions state:

ELIGIBILITY
    The benefits described in these Policy Terms and Conditions are dependent upon a Card being issued, the Card account being valid and the account balance having been paid in accordance with the Cardmember agreement at the time of any incident giving rise to a claim.
    The following benefits are dependent on use of the Card:
    • Cancelling, Postponing and Abandoning your Trip;
    • Cutting Short your Trip;
    • Travel Inconvenience;
    • Personal Belongings, Money and Travel Documents;
    • Purchase Protection;
    • Refund Protection;

The Terms and Conditions indicate that benefits will be available if you use the card, so if I pay for the deposit using the Platinum card and the balance with another card (BA AMEX card) I assume that I will receive the above benefits as I have used the Platinum card?

JDB 4,365 posts

Do I need to pay the full amount of a trip using the Platinum card to receive the benefits. The Policy Terms and Conditions state:

ELIGIBILITY
    The benefits described in these Policy Terms and Conditions are dependent upon a Card being issued, the Card account being valid and the account balance having been paid in accordance with the Cardmember agreement at the time of any incident giving rise to a claim.
    The following benefits are dependent on use of the Card:
    • Cancelling, Postponing and Abandoning your Trip;
    • Cutting Short your Trip;
    • Travel Inconvenience;
    • Personal Belongings, Money and Travel Documents;
    • Purchase Protection;
    • Refund Protection;

The Terms and Conditions indicate that benefits will be available if you use the card, so if I pay for the deposit using the Platinum card and the balance with another card (BA AMEX card) I assume that I will receive the above benefits as I have used the Platinum card?

The above is qualified by 1.2(6) but that helpfully references ‘card account’ a defined term that appears to include any Amex card, but best to check with Amex to be sure.

MKB 71 posts

Trying to claim under Travel Inconvenience with AXA is proving to be a nightmare.

They direct you to an online portal that is not fit for purpose. It asks the wrong questions, then auto-rejects you based on false assumptions.

I’ve managed to get an agent, who appeared to be using a very flaky computer connection from home, to log the claim manually. But she said she had to fiddle the data to make the system accept it. I now apparently have to write an email explaining the circumstances in full to override the details the agent entered.

It’s only taken four hours so far.

PT 11 posts

Have I missed something? Platinum travel insurance used to cover winter sports, very clearly stating including skiing. Now, when I go through the insurance portal and type in skiing and cycling (which I had previously phoned to check cycling was indeed covered a year or so ago) it states these activities are not covered? Has this change been announced/did I miss it?

JDB 4,365 posts

Have I missed something? Platinum travel insurance used to cover winter sports, very clearly stating including skiing. Now, when I go through the insurance portal and type in skiing and cycling (which I had previously phoned to check cycling was indeed covered a year or so ago) it states these activities are not covered? Has this change been announced/did I miss it?

There is a separate document that lists allowable health pre-existing conditions plus the sports covered, the second part of which references allowed winter sports. I don’t have a link to it I’m afraid.

PT 11 posts

There is a separate document that lists allowable health pre-existing conditions plus the sports covered, the second part of which references allowed winter sports. I don’t have a link to it I’m afraid.

On my insurance portal I can get the list of pre-existing conditions, but the full list for sports is not available. I too have seen a previous document, and can find on google and old one which states skiing was covered, but the online portal search box is now clearly responding that skiing is not covered (and adding this with the full list now not being available makes me think something has changed)

FFoxSake 217 posts

The page for allowed Sports is here:
    https://www.americanexpress.com/en-gb/insurance/benefit-centre/search?sports=sports

but the link to the full pdf document is not currently visible there. It can be seen by right-clicking the text “To view the full list of all Sports and Activities covered by your American Express card please” and using Inspect.

Here’s the link that’s embedded in there:
    https://icm.aexp-static.com/Internet/insurance/pdf/en-GB/UK_Platinum_Sports_and_Winter_Sports_Activities_list.pdf

(the intern at Amex has coded the href links wrongly… they have put a label in there instead of just putting the “Click Here” text after the closure and before the . You can compare it to the Medical pre-conditions page where it has been done correctly)

ringingup 179 posts

This was asked in another thread recently. See if you can find it.

There is an issue with the tool, it doesn’t return partial matches. The exact wording is not Skiing but Alpine Skiing or On-Piste skiing. I can’t remember exactly.

ringingup 179 posts

This was asked in another thread recently. See if you can find it.

There is an issue with the tool, it doesn’t return partial matches. The exact wording is not Skiing but Alpine Skiing or On-Piste skiing. I can’t remember exactly.

https://www.headforpoints.com/forums/topic/platinum-insurance-terms/

PT 11 posts

Thanks so much everyone! Indeed, it has to be the exact wording entered into the search box – all cleared up, still covered (on piste skiing)!

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.