Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards American Express Platinum travel insurance – Cuba

• Joe G 80 posts

Hi all,

I have a trip booked to Cuba in a couple of months (Great deal on a Business class Iberia redemption), does anyone know if that’s covered by the Amex Platinum insurance (flights booked with the card)?

Seems no one in Cuba accepts Amex for obvious reasons for hotel bookings etc but wondering if the basic medical cover still applies?

I asked on the Amex chat feature but they didn’t seem to know…

Thanks

JDB 4,369 posts

You really need to pin down Amex/Axa on this point. As Amex and Chubb (the underwriters) are both US companies they have to comply with the sanctions regime but there are certain carve outs for foreign nationals as part of worldwide policies and you need to check they apply to all sections of the Platinum policy and get it in writing.

dahokolomoki 103 posts

Also be aware that if you visit Cuba, from now on if you want to visit the USA, you cannot use an ESTA, you have to apply for a full US tourist or business visit visa.

Joe G 80 posts

Thanks for the advice, will do a deeper dive into it and report back, was just hoping someone might have an off the shelf answer. Might be easier to get separate cover just for that trip.

I was in the USA earlier this year and don’t plan on going back again for a few years so not being able to get an ESTA is not an immediate concern but will remember to take it into consideration well in advance of my next visit.

Colin MacKinnon 283 posts

We went to Cuba just before Covid. Spent a month touring around and my wife is Spanish, so we were able to chat a lot with many locals.

First, you need medical insurance to enter Cuba: the print out from Amex does fine for that.

Second, the proof in any insurance is when you make a claim. We never had to.

Third. Cuba is a basket case. There is just no cash in the government coffers. So there are severe shortages of medical supplies, diagnostic equipment is old, poorly maintained and staff have insufficient training.
    Make sure you take a first aid kit with you (you can give it to a local when you leave, they will be very grateful). Take any prescription medicine and a doctor’s note to explain it.

Fourth: There are (is) dedicated hospital(s) for expats and tourists. Having said that, anyone with money gets themselves to the airport if they feel unwell and flies out!

The Cubans will do a good job setting broken bones etc. But they’ve simply not had the money over the past 20-30 years to buy the equipment that we expect modern hospitals to have.

So a fit 30-year-old breaking a bone etc should be fine in Cuba, a 60-year-old having a heart attack, not so sure.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.