Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards American Express Problems posting Amex Membership Rewards points to Virgin Atlantic

• Slotski 5 posts

I recently transferred 1000 Amex membership points to Virgin Atlantic. I note it states it should nornally take 30 minutes to transfer. After three days it was still shown as pending in my Amex account and I called Amex to query, they confirmed they could see the transaction and my Virgin Atlantic account was correct – I feared I mis-typed my account number – and it could take up to five days. This has now past and still the points are not in my Virgin Atlantic account – has anyone else encountered similar issues?

BTW I also transferred 1000 Amex points to my BA and these were recieved within three days.

Thanks

Rob
    HfP Staff
    2,199 posts

Very odd. Virgin Atlantic transfers are normally instant if you’ve done one before, and no more than an hour or so if you haven’t done one before.

CarpalTravel 363 posts

I have tried to connect two cards (Bus Plat then Pers Plat) in the last 3months, both got stuck as pending for a few weeks until I nagged the CS team to sort it. Once sorted though, the transfers have been instant.

I would contact Amex CS and not be fobbed off with “wait X days” type stuff, they seem to me to have some issues their end.

SimonX 8 posts

I recently transferred 1000 Amex membership points to Virgin Atlantic. I note it states it should nornally take 30 minutes to transfer. After three days it was still shown as pending in my Amex account and I called Amex to query, they confirmed they could see the transaction and my Virgin Atlantic account was correct – I feared I mis-typed my account number – and it could take up to five days. This has now past and still the points are not in my Virgin Atlantic account – has anyone else encountered similar issues?

BTW I also transferred 1000 Amex points to my BA and these were recieved within three days.

Thanks

I had exactly the same problem. After 10 days I called Virgin as the points had left Amex and Virgin said I had to speak to Amex as my accounts were not linked. Just literally off the phone now from Amex who solved it within 5 minutes. They first recalled the transfer and the Amex points re-appeared inside 30 seconds. They then cancelled the original link request to Virgin which was still pending and re-sent it and it linked inside 2 minutes. I then transfered the points againand it happened inside a couple of minutes. Amex call centre in Philippines are excellent.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.