Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Frequent flyer programs Other frequent flyer schemes QR – will they check bags through (and transfer time)?!

• Anna 458 posts

I’ve used my 2nd BC voucher for CW to Dubai next December as I want winter sun and Caribbean award seat pricing has gone stupid. I’m looking at DXB-DOH-MAN for the return on QR, but it looks as though the 2 legs will need to be booked separately, even though bizarrely you can book DXB-DOH-LHR on one booking. Would QR check our bags through or would we have to retrieve them and check them in again? If so, how much time would we need at DOH for this? TIA.

Jacob 223 posts

I’ve just read the other day, that QR don’t have the same policy as BA on not checking through bags. I know someone who got bags checked through from QR (SIN-DOH-DUB) on to BA (DUB-LCY) on separate bookings. So I’d imagine it should be fine. Unfortunately, I don’t have a link to the policy.

SamG 1,644 posts

Either calling BA and booking or transferring Avios to Qatar and booking there should get you on one ticket

But otherwise QR in my experience will check through, not sure if it’s written down anywhere

John 1,000 posts

On all my QR flights where I had a subsequent oneworld separate ticket, they have never blinked an eye at checking through, anywhere in the world including outsourced staff.

If you did want to enter Qatar and are in J/F it should only take about 30-45 minutes to go through immigration, customs and check in again, but you need to leave enough time for a possible delayed arrival while not missing the check-in deadline. Also, if you had wanted to do this during the World Cup it wouldn’t have been possible without holding a match ticket and maybe having booked accommodation, and there were some covid restrictions prior to that.

BA Flyer IHG Stayer 2,083 posts

Whilst it is OW policy not to through check on separate tickets it is up to I socisual airlines whether or not to through check and QR chooses to do so.

So when the trip starts with QR and the next separate leg is on Aa/BA/IB they will.

But in reverse aa/BA/IB won’t

Jacob 223 posts

Anna 458 posts

Thanks all! I might actually look at whether it’s worth spending a couple of days in Doha, but the main attraction is the direct flights to MAN, especially when bookable with avios!

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.