Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards Barclaycard Avios Rainy Day Saver account only for Blue Rewards, not Avios

• Fraser 53 posts

As far as I can tell, the Barclays Rainy Day Saver account is open to Premier customers, but only those using Blue rewards, not Avios.
    Is this right?

If so, it’s worth factoring in the interest foregone (5% on up to £5000) versus another instant access account (say, 3%) – so effectively a £100 annual charge.

Is this right or have Barclays simply forgotten to mention it’s open to both?

Rich_A 92 posts

Correct, it’s only open to Blue Rewards.

If you can find an instant access account offering 3% let me know!

But yes, that’s a good way of looking at it. You’re effectively paying to be in Avios Rewards in lost interest (and compulsory purchase of Avios). But you’re getting an upgrade voucher, which you hope will be worth more.

I have Avios Rewards on my main account. Was wondering if I could set up Blue Rewards on our joint account and get the best of both?

RCHammer 64 posts

I have a joint account with my wife. I had been on blue rewards for a while but switched to Avios around March / April, I think. A couple of months ago I opened a rainy day blue awards saver and deposited £5k when we first saw the 5% offer. So it is possible to have both, at least in the order I did it

hapshade 6 posts

You have to open the Rainy Day account while in Blue Rewards, but you can switch to Avios Rewards and keep the Rainy Day account open. Also, you can earn 3% on a Cash ISA with Virgin Money.

RCHammer 64 posts

You have to open the Rainy Day account while in Blue Rewards, but you can switch to Avios Rewards and keep the Rainy Day account open. Also, you can earn 3% on a Cash ISA with Virgin Money.

Except that I was registered for blue rewards, then switched to registered for Avios rewards and after that the rainy day saver was still available to me so my experience would indicate you only have to have been in blue rewards at some point in the past. Subtle difference, I know, but might help someone…

MacSyms 4 posts

Sorry I messed up with the quote function – my reply is underneath

MacSyms 4 posts

Correct, it’s only open to Blue Rewards.

But yes, that’s a good way of looking at it. You’re effectively paying to be in Avios Rewards in lost interest (and compulsory purchase of Avios). But you’re getting an upgrade voucher, which you hope will be worth more.

I have Avios Rewards on my main account. Was wondering if I could set up Blue Rewards on our joint account and get the best of both?

The HSBC Online Bonus Saver offers 3% interest up to £10,000. Higher cash interest than Barclays’ Rainy Day Saver in absolute term if you already bank with HSBC and have more money available to save.

Luca M 391 posts

I have had a blue rewards for years, since it first was launched, and have been Premier for almost as long. Swapped to Avios Rewards when it was launched just over a year ago.

I have just tried to open a Rainy Saver (as the option to apply was there) but the application stopped towards the end saying that it was only available to Blue Rewards customers.

duggie1982 263 posts

Wish i seen this before i set up avios reward a few days ago, aw well then, never mind

Gary 293 posts

Except that I was registered for blue rewards, then switched to registered for Avios rewards and after that the rainy day saver was still available to me so my experience would indicate you only have to have been in blue rewards at some point in the past. Subtle difference, I know, but might help someone…

@RCHammer
    that’s helpful to know. I switched off Avios Rewards so OH could switch on via our Premier joint account for 100K Avios. I am considering switching on Blue Rewards & deposit £5k in Rainy saver, then switch off Blue Rewards maybe after a few months. So I think you were suggesting this could possibly work meaning Rainy Saver continues to reward 5% interest (at least it inadvertently did for you)?

RCHammer 64 posts

Yes, I was for some reason allowed to open a rainy day saver when deregistered from blue rewards and registered for Avios and it is paying the 5% interest. So you could, in theory, register, open an account and then deregister for blue and reregister for Avios and still get paid your interest but since my experience is an exception I can’t say for certain

RCHammer 64 posts

@RCHammer
    that’s helpful to know. I switched off Avios Rewards so OH could switch on via our Premier joint account for 100K Avios. I am considering switching on Blue Rewards & deposit £5k in Rainy saver, then switch off Blue Rewards maybe after a few months. So I think you were suggesting this could possibly work meaning Rainy Saver continues to reward 5% interest (at least it inadvertently did for you)?

I am deregistered from blue rewards but I am still being paid 5% interest so, in theory, you could register, open an account and then switch back but I was, for some reason, allowed to open the rainy day saver account a few months after I had deregistered from blue rewards and registered for Avios so my experience seems to be an exception

lambshank13 53 posts

Just got a letter saying my Rainy Day Saver will be converted to an Everyday Saver in two months’ time.

I opened it in September back when I had blue rewards. Left blue rewards in November to switch to Avios rewards and have been able to keep the Rainy Day Saver no problem, until now.

davet 107 posts

I have a chip instant access account thats 3.5%

BuildBackBetter 705 posts

Chase.

WillPS 194 posts

Just got a letter saying my Rainy Day Saver will be converted to an Everyday Saver in two months’ time.

I opened it in September back when I had blue rewards. Left blue rewards in November to switch to Avios rewards and have been able to keep the Rainy Day Saver no problem, until now.

Same. I’m almost certain I was presented information to the contrary when I upgraded but I can’t find it in any emails or similar now.

Ho hum, plenty of time to sort something else, I was only using it for ‘excess’ anyway (prioritising Natwest Group Digital Regular Savers and Club Lloyds).

hapshade 6 posts

You are technically meant to remain a member of Blue Rewards to maintain eligibility for the Rainy Day Saver. I’d managed to keep both open for 6 months or so but they’ve just written to me saying as I’m no longer a member of Blue Rewards my Rainy Day saver will be converted in June.

johnwillis1986 15 posts

I was also gonna mention chip! Instant access saver at 3.55%. It increases automatically fairly frequently as well. Referral code of anyone is interested, CHIP-UAF470

Alex G 435 posts

When Rich asked this Q in November last year, Chase were paying 2.1%. A lot has changed since then.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.