Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Other Destination advice Recommendation for External Hard Drive/USB Stick/Flash drive etc.

• kevind 46 posts

I know this isn’t strictly “Destination” advice so I’ll call it “Whilst getting to your destination” advice.

Can anyone recommend an external hard drive or USB Flash drive or such like for downloading and storing movies and TV programmes? I don’t want to load my laptop up with loads of content as I only really watch TV/Films on it while I am travelling. I mainly use Apple TV/Amazon for downloads and use a MacBook Pro.

I currently have a LaCie Rugged portable hard drive which acts as my backup drive for everything, laptop, desktop etc. and I don’t travel with it. I was just going to buy another one but thought I would ask for opinion on here.

Thanks in advance guys.

QwertyKnowsBest 301 posts

Firstly suggest you check that your streaming service of choice let’s you save to any location. Then it’s down to your preference on USB key style or a plug in drive and size of storage needed. SSD is of course faster to use and more expensive to purchase.

Maybe even buy an inexpensive non solid state drive to use as a library and transfer to what I presume is a solid state drive in your device when ready to watch.

tiriavpo 312 posts

Highly recommend a SSD external drive such as: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08RSH8YDJ

No moving parts so stands up to knocks and bumps of travel and tiny size for the capacity. I use it with a SSD MacBook and together they are lightning fast.

Lula 204 posts

Second what @tiriavpo said. That SSD is great.

memesweeper 1,255 posts

The alternative to a large external SSD is a small SDcard for the slot on the right. I think all pros have this available for use. I have a 1TB SDcard which is ‘flush’ and wasn’t silly money.

Search Amazon (after clicking the HfP link) for “Transcend 1TB JDL330 JetDrive Lite 330 Expansion Card for MacBook Pro”. Smaller capacities are available for older Mac models.

ChasP 162 posts

1 or 2 small USB sticks for me (assuming you dont have an sd card slot)
    You can get up to a dozen movies on a 64Gb stick (depending on coding)for a £5

OhOneTwoFour 23 posts

Highly recommend a SSD external drive such as: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08RSH8YDJ

No moving parts so stands up to knocks and bumps of travel and tiny size for the capacity. I use it with a SSD MacBook and together they are lightning fast.

Or this one as an alternative:

Crucial X6 1TB Portable SSD – Up to 800MB/s – PC and Mac – USB 3.2 USB-C External Solid State Drive – CT1000X6SSD9

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.