Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Frequent flyer programs British Airways Executive Club Redeeming a 2-4-1 in a Household Account

• TonyLon 7 posts

I’m going to need to ring BA to book a 2-4-1 redemption voucher (as it’s an Open Jaw booking).

The voucher is in my wife’s name and she will be one of the passengers travelling along with myself.

We are both in the same household account, and so the Avios will be being taken from both accounts.

Will it be wife that has to go through the phone booking hassle or can I do it.
    ie: can one BA Exce Club member use a voucher belonging to another member of a Household Account when both are travelling?

Of course all of this could be avoided if BA ever upgraded their website to allow online Open Jaw Bookings – how many years has this been on the feature wishlist?!

NorthernLass 7,592 posts

You can get your wife to add you to her account as an authorised person and you should be able to make the booking. I’ve done this with my OH’s Barclaycard voucher, and also when reclaiming 50% avios on a 241 return leg.

If she goes into her BAEC account, the option to do this should be in there somewhere!

TonyLon 7 posts

Many thanks NothernLass that’s exactly the kind of information I was hoping to hear from the knowledgeable userbase on this forum!!

tiriavpo 312 posts

Yes, get her to add you as a ‘third party nominee’ to her account – equally, you could have her available to go through security on the call and complete the rest of the booking yourself.

This is likely to be one of those rare occasions when they will ask for an amex card in her name – ie the same name as the voucher owner. Although the card we used had her name on it, it was the supplementary on my account – so not the card used to earn the voucher.

TonyLon 7 posts

Was a bit worried when I saw your comment that might need my wife’s AMEX card to make booking, as that’s something I don’t have access to as she’s away at the moment.

But no need to worry as was able to use an AMEX card in my name to make the payment.

And as an aside, pleasantly surprised that only took 5 minutes to get through to a call centre operator at BA

simonbarker 55 posts

TonyLon
    7 posts
    Was a bit worried when I saw your comment that might need my wife’s AMEX card to make booking, as that’s something I don’t have access to as she’s away at the moment.

Interesting, I booked an open jaw with my wife’s companion voucher (she ran through security but I did the booking) and we had to use her BAPP card since that was the one we got the voucher on.

NorthernLass 7,592 posts

There’s a huge amount of discussion/articles on this site about using Amex to pay – in a nutshell, you need one, but it doesn’t have to be in a particular name.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.