Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Frequent flyer programs British Airways Executive Club Redemption booking error for Japanese domestic flights

• RK228 204 posts

Probably too optimistically, we have booked flights to Japan for July using Avios and AMEX companion vouchers. While there, we would like to go to Okinawa and want to book HND–OKA and then OKA–KIX (i.e., Haneda to Naha, Okinawa and then Naha to Osaka Kansai).

Ordinarily, we would book the JAL Explorer Pass for these internal flights, but we are unclear what the rules are for changes/cancellations with that fare this summer if Japan still isn’t open. Traditionally, the JAL Explorer pass tickets do not allow any changes, although I think they are permitting changes until April at the moment, but this leaves question marks over July.

As such, we are reluctantly looking to use Avios which would offer assured flexibility (and because the taxes are only a couple pounds, we can easily cancel without any real penalty), as we think there is a very high chance we will need this given there is still no timeline on Japan’s reopening.

The issue now is that we cannot get the Avios reward transaction to complete for the HND–OKA and OKA–KIX flights when we try to make these bookings via BA’s website. We keep getting this message at the very final stage when we click to confirm the booking:

“We’re sorry, we are unable to process your request. Please contact your local British Airways office”.

We have the requisite Avios and there appear to be plenty of reward seats available. We have even tried different browsers (e.g., Safari, Chrome), cards (e.g., BAPP Amex, IHG Mastercard), and accounts (i.e., my account and my wife’s).

Do we really need to call to get this done or are there any other suggestions?

John 1,000 posts

You can only book JAL awards 2 months in advance

meta 1,441 posts

If you have access to AA miles you can book them further in advance.

RK228 204 posts

If you have access to AA miles you can book them further in advance.

Thanks so much for these responses, which are very helpful and explain a lot. I don’t understand why the BA site doesn’t just indicate that you can only book two months ahead of time for JAL award flights. Unfortunately, we don’t have any AA miles, so can’t avail of that route for advance purchase.

I don’t necessarily mind waiting to book, but would be concerned about not getting flights on our preferred dates/times.

I think the Japan Explorer Pass fares can be booked months in advance. Does anyone know if the Japan Explorer Pass allows you to change or cancel in the current circumstances? Some pages on their website seem to suggest that we could cancel Explorer Pass bookings for this summer if Japan wasn’t open yet (e.g., https://www.jal.co.jp/jp/en/info/2020/inter/200127_02/), but other pages seem to have slightly different guidance (https://www.jal.co.jp/uk/en/info/travelalerts/200423/). I think the Explorer Pass is treated as an international ticket, right?

tiriavpo 312 posts

Thats weird – we booked on 18 April 20 for a JAL internal flight on 7 April 21.

yorkieflyer 259 posts

We booked JAL flights with Avios for this October at Christmas

RK228 204 posts

Thats weird – we booked on 18 April 20 for a JAL internal flight on 7 April 21.

We booked JAL flights with Avios for this October at Christmas

Hmmm… So is there actually a two-month rule? I don’t see anything on British Airways website about it, although after googling this travel page does mention this apparent rule: https://knaviation.net/british-airways-avios-jal-japan-domestic/

Thinking about it, I myself have booked a JAL award more than two months in advance, although that was Shanghai to Haneda, so maybe two-month rule wouldn’t be applicable.

I’m not sure if I should bother ringing BA to get to the bottom of this, go for the Explorer Pass via JAL, or just wait a bit.

RK228 204 posts

Just to update this thread, not sure what is any different compared to my attempts last month, but I was finally able to book HND–OKA and OKA–KIX reward flights today via BA’s website. There mustn’t be a hard two-month rule (as suggested previously in thread) as our flights are booked for July. Now we just need Japan to open up to tourists again someday…

If the border continues to be closed, at least we can easily cancel.

If they do open up (so we know for certain that we can go) and there is flight availability, we will probably cancel these reward flights and swap to JAL Explorer Pass fares.

Gavin454 160 posts

In the past I’ve sometimes been unable to see any availability beyond 2 months, but other times I could see availability much further in advance and had no problem booking them. Glad you managed to book them in the end!

The JAL explorer pass is looking increasingly good value now that the Yen is weakening.

I don’t hold out much hope of Japan being open in July, though. I’ve been checking almost every day and it’s been weeks since the last announcement, and they haven’t even started talking about tourism yet. They are currently letting in about 5% of the 2019 daily total, with some of the most strict entry requirements in the world (for non-Japanese nationals/residents).

RK228 204 posts

I don’t hold out much hope of Japan being open in July, though. I’ve been checking almost every day and it’s been weeks since the last announcement, and they haven’t even started talking about tourism yet. They are currently letting in about 5% of the 2019 daily total, with some of the most strict entry requirements in the world (for non-Japanese nationals/residents).

You might ultimately be right, but I don’t think the recent silence in this regard means much quite yet, as they are only due to implement the changes from their last announcement this week. I’m hoping we will start hearing more from early April as their next phase of reopening actually gets underway.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.