Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Frequent flyer programs British Airways Executive Club Reduced tier points – when are you upgraded?

• MiddleEngland 26 posts

How long after hitting the reduced tier point threshold do you get upgraded to gold? Do you have to wait until 31 Dec. I have other flights after nopefully hitting target next week.

alij297 4 posts

HI, I hit the reduced threshold last week and made gold 48 hours after return flight was taken, it was applied instantly and will last until May 24, so for the rest of this year and for a full year after that. hope this helps.

Scottpat78 245 posts

Same here. I hit gold 3 weeks ago, 2 days after the flight TP were posted taking me over the reduced threshold.

Paul 136 posts

It is immediate. As soon as you cross 1125 threshold the app will show you as gold and change the validity of the card.

In my case I flew Tuesday, the points credited on Friday and App showed Gold from then till May 30th 2024. My year end is April 8th 2024. In theory I now have lounge access and free seat assignment till May 30th 2025 as even without a single, flight I get a soft landing to silver.

The only real benefit of Gold is that you have First wing access and beyond that I can’t think of a single tangible benefit. At least not one that has not been watered down from where is was originally.

I didn’t chase this status but have obtained it via luck, BA’s appalling IT systems and Qatar airways beneficence or perhaps that should be stupidity! Either way both my wife and I are grateful as we will both be gold for the first time ever.

Scottpat78 245 posts

Exit row seats for free and theoretical next seat blocking are still 2 Gold benefits I believe? That and FW are the main benefits as I understand it after being a long time silver card holder.

Thegasman 204 posts

Additional short haul economy Avios availability can be very useful as well.

Rob
    HfP Staff
    2,207 posts

Worth noting that, whilst it is instant based on when the flight posts, I’ve found flight posting to be rather sluggish recently. This could be an issue if you wanted your new status with 2-3 days of your previous flight.

Skywalker 697 posts

Worth noting that, whilst it is instant based on when the flight posts, I’ve found flight posting to be rather sluggish recently. This could be an issue if you wanted your new status with 2-3 days of your previous flight.

This is my exact scenario: TP end date is 8/11

I took a flight on 5/11. Will BA’s system know to backdate it or will it just put it into the new earning year?

I’m waiting on it to bump me up to Silver

(Note to self: don’t leave it so late next time 🙄)

sayling 50 posts

I took a flight on 5/11. Will BA’s system know to backdate it or will it just put it into the new earning year?

Holding my breath here for an update…

alexb 37 posts

My wife reached reduced level 3 weeks ago I contacted ba chat last week and was told it will not update
    Until her year end in jan23

iamlost 108 posts

My wife reached reduced level 3 weeks ago I contacted ba chat last week and was told it will not update

That’s plain wrong information. Speak to them again and you’ll get a different answer (if her status hasn’t updated already).

nectar collector 282 posts

The information on BA.com about the mechanics of when status will be updated says as follows – does last but one paragraph apply in your wife’s case?

Members with a Tier Point Collection Year end date up to December 2022 can benefit from the reduced Tier Point thresholds to upgrade their Tier status, or to renew their current Tier status if this has not already been extended automatically.

Members with a Tier Point Collection Year end date in 2023 can benefit from the reduced thresholds to renew or upgrade their status for the following membership year, if they earn the required number of Tier Points by 31 December 2022 only. From 1 January 2023 the reduced Tier thresholds will no longer apply.

Please note, Members with a Tier Point Collection Year end date in 2023 will see the normal Tier Point threshold in the ‘My Account’ area on ba.com and the British Airways app from the start of their Tier Point collection year.

If your Tier Point Collection Year end date is in 2023 and you are eligible to upgrade your Tier status under the reduced Tier Point thresholds, your membership will automatically be upgraded once you have earnt the required number of Tier Points. There is no need to contact us to arrange this.

If your Tier Point Collection Year end date is in 2023 and you are eligible to renew your Tier status under the reduced Tier Point thresholds, your membership will be automatically renewed in January 2023. There is no need to contact us to arrange this.

Please note, you will still need to have flown the minimum number of British Airways or Iberia flights to qualify, which is two flights for Bronze membership, and four flights for Silver and Gold membership.

alexb 37 posts

She has done more than 4 qualified flights

Skywalker 697 posts

Holding my breath here for an update…

Whoops, sorry! I was actually waiting for a response from someone with more knowledge about/experience of the topic – it wasn’t meant to be a cliffhanger 😀 :

The system zeroed my tier points (as expected), and I was stuck at Bronze.

I called one advisor, who told me that my points will be crediting to my new tier point year

Polite HUACA

Next advisor: “It would most likely credit to the next year, but I will raise a case for you to get it credited to this year”

Some several hours later

Still no tier points awarded for the flight, but my status had been changed to “Retain silver”, and my lifetime tier points balance acknowledges the newly credited tier points some how.

Repeats earlier note to self – I won’t fly so close to my TP year end again if I pursue BA status next year.

nectar collector 282 posts

She has done more than 4 qualified flights

it was this para I was referring to

If your Tier Point Collection Year end date is in 2023 and you are eligible to renew your Tier status under the reduced Tier Point thresholds, your membership will be automatically renewed in January 2023. There is no need to contact us to arrange this.

If your wife has just reached the threshold to retain her existing status, then BA will reflect that in the system in Jan 23. If she’s reached the threshold to go up in status eg silver to gold, then that should be updated straight away.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.