Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards American Express Referral query – can the receiver apply for any card?

• Joe G 80 posts

Hi All,

I’m sure this has been asked before at some point but couldn’t find this in the forums. I had a query in regards to referral links. I, like many others, currently have a generous Platinum referral offer at the moment but I don’t really feel comfortable about pushing the platinum to anyone with the relatively large annual fee, I myself am still weighing up if it’s worth keeping.

I had a look at the T&C’s and it seems that the 24000 avios referral bonus would still apply if a lower (and free) product like the BA Blue Amex was applied for as it stipulates only their “basic” card is not eligible for the referral bonus.

Would someone be able to clarify how this works for both parties, and indeed if you can use a platinum referral for someone who may not necessarily want that card but may be interested in another one?

Thanks

degsy 148 posts

Yes pretty sure that’s fine (never had Plat but it’s always been the case with every other type I’ve had) – it doesn’t have to be the same card that’s taken out, there are a number of other cards which count for the referral bonus. It’s not quite all the Amex range mind, but most and it’s obvious which are when you click on the link.

Froggee 886 posts

Yes indeed. My wife and I are both very happy with our fee free Amex rewards credit cards and they were very beneficial for referral bonuses.

I keep mine in my gym bag as I have to pay a fiver per kid when I take them swimming at my gym so it’s handy to have a burner card for that.

And Amex very kindly gave me £15 off PayPal x3 on that card so it really is the gift that keeps giving.

Joe G 80 posts

Good to know thanks, I have a couple of friends who are interested in collecting Avios/Reward points but maybe don’t want to jump in at the deep end with the Platinum so this could be useful!

aq.1988 456 posts

Good to know thanks, I have a couple of friends who are interested in collecting Avios/Reward points but maybe don’t want to jump in at the deep end with the Platinum so this could be useful!

Hi,

Yes, thats absolutely fine. Just have to make sure they use your link, and be accepted, they don’t necessarily have to apply for the card you referred them for.

I have referred plenty of people with my Gold card, and they applied for the BA free Amex or the free rewards card, and I still got the full referral bonus. It even works to refer people that already have an Amex, even if they aren’t eligible for the sign-up bonus – I’ve referred someone that already had a Gold card for the free rewards card so when they cancel the Gold after a year, they will retain their points, and they referred me back for the same card, and we both got the points.

Luca M 391 posts

Yes, the way it works is that the person referring will collect his card advertesised referral bonus and the person applying will receive whatever referral bonus there is for the card they are applying.

As a matter of fact I made a small PDF that I send with my referral to my friend that explain step by step how to use the link they receive to then select “compare cards” and thus selecting a different one to apply for.

Andrew J 769 posts

It’s a good reason to have the Platinum card – 24k for you when a friend successfully applies for the free BA card as an example.

AJA 1,060 posts

Also beneficial to the referee too to suggest they apply for cards in the right order. If they apply for the BAPP then they can get a SUB on both the BAPP and then on the Platinum card.

Shifterz 8 posts

I currently have a generous offer on my platinum for referral. I’m thinking of referring my wife for the Amazon Business Card (she’s still within the 24month sign up period) would I still get the referral if she was accepted? Can’t see anywhere in the terms that the Amazon Business Card is excluded.

Luca M 391 posts

I currently have a generous offer on my platinum for referral. I’m thinking of referring my wife for the Amazon Business Card (she’s still within the 24month sign up period) would I still get the referral if she was accepted? Can’t see anywhere in the terms that the Amazon Business Card is excluded.

As far as by following your referral link and “comparing other cards” they are able to select and apply for the Amazon card, if they are then approved, you get the bonus. You would get the bonus even if the applicant does not qualify themselves for a SUB. Having said this, when I follow my link and click compare to select other cards, I cannot see and thus select the Amazon card nor the BA Business card, but I could select the platinum and gold business cards.

Ori 35 posts

I hit my limit for referrals bonus this year.
    Is it per calendar year or per account year? My account renews shortly, but if it’s per calandra year I’ll wait until Jan.

Reney 755 posts

I hit my limit for referrals bonus this year.
    Is it per calendar year or per account year? My account renews shortly, but if it’s per calandra year I’ll wait until Jan.

calendar

hak 6 posts

So, to be clear, I just follow the referral link and can pick whatever card on there? So, for example, my wife is a Gold, and I need a Plat. So, she just sends the referral link, I follow, and she will get the bonus points?

Luca M 391 posts

So, to be clear, I just follow the referral link and can pick whatever card on there? So, for example, my wife is a Gold, and I need a Plat. So, she just sends the referral link, I follow, and she will get the bonus points?

100%, dove many times, and if you apply for the platinum you get 60,000 plus 5000 if you meet the targeted spend

SteveJ 977 posts

Yes. When you click the link you’ll be taken to a page showing the same card as the person who referred you. At the top of that page you should see “View all Cards with a Referral Offer”. Click that to see the other cards. The referee gets the same number of points regardless of which card you go for.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.