Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards American Express Refund to a card that has been cancelled.

• pbcold 348 posts

Advice if possible please. What happens when an Amex refund is paid to a card that has already been cancelled? Many thanks in advance.

NorthernLass 7,569 posts

You’ll eventually get a statement showing the refund (or if you leave the card attached to your account you can see it online). You’ll need to contact Amex and arrange to have the money returned to you by cheque or bank transfer. You don’t get penalised for any points or offers you benefited from by making the original spend.

pbcold 348 posts

Perfect, thank you very much indeed.

Guernsey Globetrotter 587 posts

I wouldn’t wait to receive a physical account statement and Amex accounts that are closed fall off the online statements in my experience, even if you don’t delete them. Just ask online chat to see if the refund has hit and they will also be able arrange to issue you a cheque or pay it to your account.

NorthernLass 7,569 posts

As long as you don’t remove the card from the account it’s attached to, you’ll still be able to see your balance so you’ll know when the refund hits.

John 1,000 posts

I couldn’t be bothered to call or chat to Amex. After 4 months they refunded me to the account from which I had had a direct debit set up, and sent me a letter in the post saying they had done so.

NorthernLass 7,569 posts

From my experience, they will only do that for sums under a certain amount (possibly £500 but I can’t remember). But at a certain figure they ask for documentary evidence and again I can’t remember whether that’s just ID or to prove that you’re the account holder for the DD account.

Harrier25 852 posts

I find getting the refund transferred to a current account works most effectively and without any hassle via online chat.

Entitled 68 posts

NorthernLass is correct. Anything over £500 and you either need to prove your identity for a Bacs transfer or you request to be sent a cheque. Under £500 and they will simply Bacs it straight to you. As others have mentioned, chat works well for this.

Ladyshopper 110 posts

That used to be the case. However, the last refund I had, which was around £90, they wanted to see banking documents, which I find to be a right pain, so I asked for a cheque.

BJ 657 posts

Had two agents take over half an hour to process refunds earlier this year. Fortunately, my latest request was processed in just a few minutes just like the old days. Like Anna, I keep all my cancelled cards on the account, just a quick cluck on each card in the app shows if a credit balance is avaliable.

E 92 posts

Seems to vary how much they will refund without documentation now. I had to get a refund of just over £200 a couple of weeks ago and I had to upload banking documents for that. Annoyingly as the £200 was made up of two refunds they asked for two bank statements covering each payment I’d made to cover each purchase relating to each refund. Wasn’t just proving my identity generally with statements.

Michael C 667 posts

I did one over the phone about 10 days ago and they asked for the new card details and refunded it to there.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.