Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Hotel loyalty schemes IHG One Rewards Renew Ambassador in hotel?

• AnotherUser 181 posts

My Ambassador status is ending soon after I’ve got an IC stay booked. IHG have offered 15k points to renew, and I likely will renew.

Some people have talked about renewing in an IC. Do I just email to say I’m due to renew, IHG have offered me an incentive, but I was wondering if the hotel could offer anything if I upgrade there? Or is there a better way to approach this? I’ll be checking in with a toddler who has been on the train for slightly too long, so it’s likely best if I can agree (or not) any renewal offer before I arrive 🙂

BBbetter 649 posts

Both options have same renewal benefits. I paid cash at hotel and received 15k points.

Lady London 2,057 posts

100% always do the hotel a favour and see if they come up with something.

I might even email them about something such as a cot request to make sure indicating my arrival and departure times (this is helpful to a hotel) and incidentally also mentioning you are considering signing up for Ambassador and will it be possible to do this at the hotel when you arrive.

Though I do believe it’s only an Ambassador payment by cash that gets you the 15,000 no matter by which method you renew, paying it in points would not get the 15k.

memesweeper 1,258 posts

The only reason not to renew in the hotel is the inability to use the ambassador weekend voucher on that particular stay.

Note: some hotels are blocking the voucher completely it seems, others restrict availability. If you value a future 2-4-1 weekend stay make sure it’s actually available at the time and hotel of your choosing. You can book at the ambassador rate before signing up to ambassador.

AnotherUser 181 posts

Thanks – that’s really useful! I’m using the 2-for-1 voucher on my stay, but this is from the Ambassador membership that’s just about to expire (will expire around a week after my stay). Using the voucher shouldn’t be a problem in these circumstances?

memesweeper 1,258 posts

Thanks – that’s really useful! I’m using the 2-for-1 voucher on my stay, but this is from the Ambassador membership that’s just about to expire (will expire around a week after my stay). Using the voucher shouldn’t be a problem in these circumstances?

Absolutely fine in those circumstances. Confirm on check-in the upgrade you have in the bag, and then ask if they have anything to offer as an incentive to renew your soon-to-expire membership on the spot. It might be a further upgrade, or something else. Dropping hints by email ahead of time might not hurt either.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.