Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Frequent flyer programs British Airways Executive Club Retain Silver – target suddenly increased?

• Reniston 2 posts

Hi, new here, just logged on to ask about this.

I’ve been a silver card holder for several years and for the last two years the number of flights I’ve been required to complete in order to retain my silver card has been 37.

I’ve just noticed that my target has jumped back up from 37 to 50 flights, 2/3 through my Tier points collection year, when the flights I had booked with BA were planned to make the 37 target.

Anyone else seen this happen? They can’t just move the goalposts like this, can they?

Froggee 897 posts

@Reniston – yeah that was a Covid thing. You do have until 31 December to hit 37 flights if that helps?

See link towards bottom:

https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/executive-club/tiers-and-benefits

alansboyd 2 posts

Yes, same thing happened to me last week. I have written to BA to ask if it is a system issue.

dougzz99 619 posts

Yes, same thing happened to me last week. I have written to BA to ask if it is a system issue.

Why? The query has been answered by @Froggee

Rob
    HfP Staff
    2,202 posts

No, there has been a change in the last couple of weeks – people who saw the lower figures on ba.com are now seeing the higher figures with no sign that the lower thresholds still apply.

NorthernLass 7,590 posts

Do they definitely still apply till the end of the year though?

barracuda 31 posts

It is all a mess – especially with all the cancellations, urging people to delay travel over summer, and the above average prices – hitting targets has been made even harder. Was hoping they would extend the 300 Avios target for retention to include October as well!

dougzz99 619 posts

I don’t understand what is being said then. If you use @Froggee’s link with a #vouchers on the end, so https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/executive-club/tiers-and-benefits#vouchers it jumps you to the part of the page where is specifically says,

We have reduced the amount of Tier Points needed to renew or upgrade each Tier by 25% for all Members until 31 December 2022.

This means you can benefit from lower Tier Point thresholds until this date, as shown below:

Bronze: 225 Tier Points or 18 eligible flights
    Silver: 450 Tier Points or 37 eligible flights
    Gold: 1125 Tier Points

From 1 January 2023, these thresholds will revert to:

• Bronze: 300 Tier Points or 25 eligible flights

• Silver: 600 Tier Points or 50 eligible flights

• Gold: 1500 Tier Points

Froggee 897 posts

It’s crazy nuts confusing.

But let’s say you have 8 March as your tier point year date. My understanding is:

If you collect 450 tier points or take 37 flights before 31 December then you’ll hit silver for the year to 8 March 2023. You’ll then have silver for the following year i.e. to 8 March 2024.

But if as at 31 December you’ve earned 445 tier points and taken 36 flights you’re out of luck. You have until 8th March to earn 155 more tier points or take 14 flights to hit silver.

I believe Rob said before this is because BA’s IT is messed up and could only handle it like this.

barracuda 31 posts

I still think this site: https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/executive-club/tiers-and-benefits/silver-threshold-reduced# reads as if all silver members with 2022 end dates will be reduced to 300. At least I would love it to be that way with my renewal in the first week of October!

Froggee 897 posts

Except I think you were emailed if it applied and the answer to the first FAQ says:

“ We have automatically applied the reduced threshold to Silver Members with Tier Point Collection Year end dates in July, August and September 2022”

m0deller 10 posts

My year end is July 8th, I didn’t earn enough points this past year, so will be Bronze.
    I will earn 550 points in the next few weeks (so after July 8th). Am I 600 or 450 to get silver again? Thx

AJA 1,071 posts

My year end is July 8th, I didn’t earn enough points this past year, so will be Bronze.
    I will earn 550 points in the next few weeks (so after July 8th). Am I 600 or 450 to get silver again? Thx

As long as you have the 4 qualifying flights you will be Silver as you only need 450 TP by 31 Dec 2022.

m0deller 10 posts

Thanks AJA

PaulC 67 posts

Sorry I’ve been out the loop for a month tending to our new born.

My Tier Point Collection year end is showing as 8th September 2022 in my app.

I’m 95 points away from gaining Silver and wondering if it’s worth trying to chase the points in October on our first family holiday?

ChrisC 956 posts

If your year ends on 8th September 2022 earning points in October will count to your 2022/23 collection year not your 21/22 year

roger 232 posts
    AJA 1,071 posts

It’s actually reduced now
    https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/executive-club/tiers-and-benefits/silver-threshold-reduced?s=08

As answered on the Chat thread this is only for those with tier point year ends in July,Aug or Sep 2022.

barracuda 31 posts

Has anyone actually spoken to BA and can confirm the 50% silver reduced extension does not count for Oct, Nov, Dec 22.

TPG has run an article yesterday indicating that everyone with a ’22 tier point renewal date will benefit from the 50% reduction.

https://thepointsguy.co.uk/news/british-airways-reduces-silver-status-requirements-300-tier-points/

Appreciate emails were sent early this year informing those with earlier tier point expiry dates – but it is all down to interpretation at this point – maybe Rob has a source at BA that he can confirm with?

JDB 4,384 posts

Has anyone actually spoken to BA and can confirm the 50% silver reduced extension does not count for Oct, Nov, Dec 22.

TPG has run an article yesterday indicating that everyone with a ’22 tier point renewal date will benefit from the 50% reduction.

https://thepointsguy.co.uk/news/british-airways-reduces-silver-status-requirements-300-tier-points/

Appreciate emails were sent early this year informing those with earlier tier point expiry dates – but it is all down to interpretation at this point – maybe Rob has a source at BA that he can confirm with?

It isn’t a matter of interpretation if you read the BA website. I think they make it very clear that the 300 reduced threshold is for tier point membership years ending on 8 Jul, Aug and Sep. Thereafter you need either to earn 450 by 31 Dec or you are back to the 600 threshold.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.