Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Frequent flyer programs British Airways Executive Club Reward booking with qatar – wrong information from BA

• Sandj 21 posts

As per my title I’ve used avios to book our flights with qatar. Before booking I rang BA and asked about cancellation charges, as the flights are in high demand I was thinking of booking each leg as it was released. The woman said if I phoned and linked the flights and then subsequently cancelled I would be charged £70 rather than £140. With this information I decided to book the outbound flight as it was released.

After booking the return flight I called to link the flights and mentioned I was doing so to lower the cancellation fee, she told me this was not the case I’d be charged the full £140.

Now I know it’s only £70 but I’m cross as I could have probably got my first choice flights anyway. And there is the possibility I may have to cancel for a non insureable reason. Is there anything I can do? I assume BA record calls.

NorthernLass 7,616 posts

Do you mean you’ve booked with QR Airways but via ba.com?

If you read the avios/241 threads here or Rob’s articles, you will see numerous mentions to the effect that BA does not link or merge separate bookings – you will always be left with 2 PNRs and therefore 2 sets of cancellation fees.

Sadly, you can’t rely on BA agents to give accurate information about their own policies!

Sandj 21 posts

I’ve booked with Qatar but via BA.com.
    I’ve read the guides and successfully used my 241 voucher before thanks to Rob’s articles but I wasn’t sure of this point and thought it quicker to call ba than read through the articles, my mistake!

However we’re looking forward to sampling Qatar’s business class, we were very disappointed in BA business class to the maldives this February, hopefully we won’t need to cancel!

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.