Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Hotel loyalty schemes IHG One Rewards San Francisco ICs & How to approach a mixed payment stay?

• BH 43 posts

I’m going to be in SF for 6 nights in March and I’m trying to choose between the IC SF and IC Mark Hopkins. (I’m familiar with their locations, so more interested in how comfortable they are and how staff and amenities compare. I also know that there’s a ‘resort’ fee at the Mark Hopkins.)

I am a Diamond Ambassador and want to redeem a Comp Weekend Night cert (which is currently possible at both hotels). These two nights will be bracketed by a couple of nights either side paid with cash or points according to availability. (I’m sure this must have been answered here before – I’ve dug around and can’t find any mention – but is it worth contacting the hotel in advance to see if they’ll let me stay in the same room throughout?)

Thank you in advance for any help you can give.

Blair Waldorf Salad 1,098 posts

Yes, email the hotel once you’ve sorted your back to back reservations, give them all the reservation numbers and ask them for both your and their convenience to keep you in the same room for the duration of your stay.

BA Flyer IHG Stayer 2,085 posts

I would only do that once you’ve applied the CSUs because until then they won’t really know what room you’ll be in at the highest level.

However all the reviews of the Hopkins I’ve seen say how jaded the hotel is looking and the rooms are small.

BA Flyer IHG Stayer 2,085 posts

Sort ignore that. I read the weekend voucher as being a CSU.

Blair Waldorf Salad 1,098 posts

Yeah on that point, the Hopkins is off my list unless and until it gets a root and branch refit. The city authorities housed the homeless there during lockdown year one and there are some shocking stories of what went on in the elevators/rooms/lobby. Guests found drugs paraphernalia in their room months later.

strickers 651 posts

I’m in the same boat so to speak, however, having looked at some recent reviews I think I can put up with the MH being dated. We are in SF at the same time as Fleet Week so it could be a good spot to watch the air display.

BH 43 posts

Thanks all.

Since yesterday the IC SF has become unavailable (for cash or points) for the first night of my trip, so I’m going to book (reward nights at) the MH for the first two nights and then the IC SF with 2 nights with w/e Ambassador Comp w/e night followed by a couple of reward nights.

So far as the MH being a homeless hostel goes, I would hope that any drugs paraphernalia has been found and removed by now!

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.