Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Frequent flyer programs British Airways Executive Club Starting journey in INV or DUB, checking luggage at LHR

• aq.1988 456 posts

Hi,

I’m looking at some itineraries that would either go DUB-LHR-XXX or INV-LHR-XXX one way in J.

I would have a separate ticket for the initial LHR-DUB or LHR-INV flight.

But what I want to know is, is it possible to check my bags at Heathrow at the beginning through to my final destination to avoid having to take them to INV or DUB, and, if my initial flight to DUB or INV is in Y, I would have reduced luggage allowance and as such, wouldn’t be able to take all my luggage with me anyway.

Thanks

dougzz99 623 posts

Depends on timing. Just make sure you have sufficient time to get to left luggage as a plan B if there’s a problem.

These are typical problem of ex-not your home airport. Hand baggage only is another approach. Inverness is easy to B2B, as in come back on the plane you flew there on, and that’s the safest approach there. Dublin you need to build a time allowance, you have to clear immigration and then re-enter through security which can be slow at the moment. Once you do this you risk issues with the LON-DUB flight being delayed or cancelled and you then miss the first flight of your main trip. I’m a fan of this money saving, but you need to be aware of the risks.

Check AMS too, there you can get off the plane and back on by waiting at the gate, there’s no separation of inbound/outbound passengers.

• This reply was modified 54 years, 4 months ago by .
    Thegasman 204 posts

Not a problem doing this if flights are same day. Did it a few times when INV had regular bargain F fares to US (~£1250!). Used to check in case & then leave carry on in cloakroom in CCR. Very pleasant just boarding a plane with passport, phone & wallet!

The only issue I had once was accidentally scanning my LHR-ORD boarding pass at security rather than LHR-INV so I was automatically offloaded. Only realised when trying to board. Fortunately I was at gate early & agent knew how to rectify. Caused some intrigue & amusement when I had to explain what I was doing & I did have to wait for someone from customs to come & verify I wasn’t transporting duty free goods to Inverness though which took about 15 minutes.

ChrisC 956 posts

I’ve checked in luggage at LHR for INV-LHR-JFK but that was the same day as the LHR-INV positioning flight.

Depending on your timings it would be possible to use twilight checkin for the long haul as long as that leg departs before 13.00 the next day and the timings for twilight checkin aligns with your departure to DUB/INV

KP 27 posts

I did INV-LHR—BOM in June this year and sent my luggage straight to BOM the day before.

Notmyrealname 55 posts

I’ve checked in luggage at LHR for INV-LHR-JFK but that was the same day as the LHR-INV positioning flight.

Depending on your timings it would be possible to use twilight checkin for the long haul as long as that leg departs before 13.00 the next day and the timings for twilight checkin aligns with your departure to DUB/INV

Excuse me for being thick here, but you’re saying you can check in at LHR for a XX-LHR-XX trip?

So there’s no need to check in at the actual starting point? (INV or DUb or AMS etc?

I understand you must actually board\fly from the actual starting point, just did not know this other trick to get the luggage checked in so saving the hassle of lugging it needlessly around.

John 1,000 posts

Excuse me for being thick here, but you’re saying you can check in at LHR for a XX-LHR-XX trip?

So there’s no need to check in at the actual starting point? (INV or DUb or AMS etc?

I understand you must actually board\fly from the actual starting point, just did not know this other trick to get the luggage checked in so saving the hassle of lugging it needlessly around.

Yes, imagine someone genuinely flying from Inverness to XX, if they haven’t used up their allowance at INV, why shouldn’t they be allowed to add another bag at LHR?

The only slightly dodgy thing is that you’re adding the bag before physically flying the previous segment, but the computers haven’t (yet) been programmed to pick up a logical inconsistency like this, there is no problem 99% of the time. The only problem arises when some new member of staff thinks they are being clever by picking up something unusual, then you need to either store the bag somewhere or try again and hope the original staff member doesn’t see you.

What you can’t do is check a bag to go through the same airport twice, including the starting point.

aq.1988 456 posts

Thanks for all the replies, very handy to know.

I would therefore book the positioning flight for the same day. I guess there is the risk of that flight being cancelled but this trip isn’t until next year, so hopefully the problems at the moment have been rectified by then.

If the INV-LHR flight is cancelled before I’ve flown the positioning flight, I guess I could ask BA to let me make my own way to Heathrow, rather than re-book me!

Matt 320 posts

I would therefore book the positioning flight for the same day. I guess there is the risk of that flight being cancelled but this trip isn’t until next year, so hopefully the problems at the moment have been rectified by then.

If the INV-LHR flight is cancelled before I’ve flown the positioning flight, I guess I could ask BA to let me make my own way to Heathrow, rather than re-book me!

If you are starting from INV, make sure that you book the right flight to INV – you want the one where the same plane is flying you back to start the long haul ticket, ie a back-to-back. In that case, if your positioning flight is delayed/cancelled then the start of your long haul ticket will also be delayed/cancelled. In that situation then BA will probably let you start from Heathrow.

If it’s DUB then a back-to-back isn’t a good idea.

• This reply was modified 54 years, 4 months ago by .
    dougzz99 623 posts

Yes. The real problem is if your positioning flight is cancelled or delayed, the LHR-INV one. BA won’t care as it’ll be two separate tickets and your problem you’re not in INV to start. That’s the great thing about a B2B, your first flight of the main ticket is the same aircraft as your positioning flight, so if delayed or cancelled they’re tied together. This only works without luggage, and at airports with a transfer route, or small efficient security like INV. At Dublin there is no transfer route, so you have to arrive in Ireland, then queue at security to get airside again. At present this is considered very risky to the point of stupid.

I mentioned AMS as that airport doesn’t separate arriving/departing passengers, so as you walk from the jetway you’re at the gate with the departing passengers, you wait 20 minutes and get back in the same plane with no need for any formalities. You do of course need your return boarding pass when doing this sort of thing. That can have some issues if your final destination is a country requiring COVID documents/tests, as you may have difficulty getting the BP for the first leg if your unable to meet all the criteria in advance.

There is a thread on FT detailing the various B2B options and the ease of the airport, https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1964325-back-back-immediate-turnarounds-ba-destinations.html

aq.1988 456 posts

Thanks for the tip, guess that rules out using Dublin as that creates added risk but could use AMS as an option.

Yes, the idea would be to do the positioning flight with HBO (probably just a rucksack), and have checked the luggage at Heathrow.

Thanks for the link to the FT thread.

dougzz99 623 posts

I wouldn’t rule out Dublin, just need to adjust for it. If your final destination is USA then Dublin can be a good starting point. Fly to Dublin, evening in the city, hotel at the airport, and next day fly direct to PHL or DFW on AA with pre-clearance. Pretty much anywhere can be got to from either of those airports, and as you arrive as a domestic you walk start off the plane and to the lounge or gate for your connection, with luggage through checked.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.