Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

• Soso 34 posts

Hello,

Had a flight planned with virgin for tonight to come back to London from nyc but received an email that I was overbooked with my friend ! The airline just issued me a new ticket for tomorrow but is not giving me any info on where I’m supposed to sleep ! Does anyone have any experience as to what we should do ? I also have Amex platinum but they’re not answering !

First time I’ve been overbooked and got a flight 24hours later so any suggestion is welcome

NorthernLass 7,573 posts

You’re entitled to claim back the cost of the extra night’s accommodation and meals you take during the delay. BA always says it’s capped at £200 pp pn – I don’t know if there’s anything on Virgin’s website about this? However, if you can’t get a decent room for what they specify, you’re entitled to claim more, though maybe don’t be booking yourself into the Four Seasons.
    Check you are properly ticketed on the new flight as well and check in online as soon as you can.

JDB 4,374 posts

Hello,

Had a flight planned with virgin for tonight to come back to London from nyc but received an email that I was overbooked with my friend ! The airline just issued me a new ticket for tomorrow but is not giving me any info on where I’m supposed to sleep ! Does anyone have any experience as to what we should do ? I also have Amex platinum but they’re not answering !

First time I’ve been overbooked and got a flight 24hours later so any suggestion is welcome

In addition to the above, you are entitled to ask Virgin to reroute you on another airline tonight or earlier tomorrow, at their expense but they may not be overly co-operative . If you do end up travelling tomorrow, you will also be entitled to £520 denied boarding compensation under UK261 as Virgin is a UK airline. If they reroute you tonight any compensation will depend on the delay (based on arrival time) you suffer vs original flight time.

• This reply was modified 54 years, 4 months ago by .
    NorthernLass 7,573 posts

Good point @JDB, I assumed it would be more trouble than it’s worth trying to find another flight today (plus maybe very expensive), but I suppose it’s earlier there and NYC is obviously very well served for flights to the UK.

slidey 291 posts

I go with the assumption that if youre still in the hotel at the point a flight is cancelled, stay in the same one regardless cos its not your job to save the airline money by moving to a cheap hotel.

If the costs of the hotels are all high, take a screenshot of a booking site showing the typical costs so it can be used to justify the price, but yeah, anything up to 200pp pn is unlikely to be questioned. Looking at manhattan hotel prices on google has the likes of the ic at 300usd, so you should be fine 🙂

Soso 34 posts

Thank you so much everyone ! Just booked myself another night at the hotel and will take the compensation !the really aggravating part is they virgin is not answering at all on phone+email+webchat ! Just received an email wishing me the best of luck which I thought was pretty cheeky !

NorthernLass 7,573 posts

That is cheeky. Make sure you keep a record of all your attempts to contact them in case they start being awkward when you put your claim in.

Tariq 79 posts
    SamG 1,644 posts

You don’t say what class you are in but if you want/need to get home tonight then go to the airport and have them rebook you on BA – they do have a smattering of seats in all classes. Otherwise enjoy your free night in NYC, have a decent meal (no alcohol) and keep the receipt + have a couple of drinks in anticpation of your inbound compo!

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.