Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Other Destination advice Summer 2023 suggestions

• ATC 25 posts

Struggling for inspiration for summer 2023 European holiday ideas. Has anyone got any suggestions/recommendations please? 2 adults/2 kids for a week. Will be using avios for flights and not a huge budget for accommodation (2-3k).

NorthernLass 7,591 posts

Is it in school holidays? If so, get those seats booked asap. Spain and Greece probably the best value. I also thoroughly recommend the Canaries – loads to do for all tastes and it’s not too hot in summer as you get breezes from the sea. They are also very good value in summer as they’re traditionally seen as a winter destination and in summer people go more for continental Europe.
    Never been to Turkey but a lot of people rave about it.
    TBH though, I would have a look where you can get avios flights to and decide from there. Getting 4 seats in peak season can be a bit like winning the lottery (I imagine).

We stayed in a beautiful apartment in Tenerife last year – the Royal Tenerife Country Club and Resort. More like mini villas with lots of private outside space, fab pool for kids. You can book via hotels .com for extra rewards.

Froggee 897 posts

Come on – more information please! If it were me, I’d probably tottle off to the Algarve but you might want adventure. How old are the kids? What sort of stuff do you like doing?

MattB 261 posts

As above the Canaries is an option, accommodation and eating out etc is usually a lot cheaper than the Ballearics.

If you are happy to self cater look at Fuerteventura or Lanzarote. Although sadly BA never restarted FUE, we were on the last flight out there back in 2018 and had to come back via Madrid on Iberia.

NorthernLass 7,591 posts

God yes, Ibiza is roughly the same price as St Barts in August!

Also depends if you’re hiring a car – some places are much better if you’re going to explore.

ATC 25 posts

Sorry….should have said. Kids will be 10 & 8. Yep will be school holidays. Done Domes 3x now and kids loved it but want to try something else. We actually went to Morzine in the French Alps this year for an adventure week and had an absolute blast. But kids fancy sunshine, beach and pool holiday for next year.

NorthernLass 7,591 posts

Which avios destinations are showing availability on your travel dates?

The Savage Squirrel 571 posts

Italy is ideal for kids. They can live off pizza and spaghetti like they normally do, but now it’s culturally authentic rather than them being fussy 😀

masaccio 722 posts

Is it in school holidays? If so, get those seats booked asap. Spain and Greece probably the best value.

Greece in August is already terrible value I’m afraid (£300 economy, £700 CE). There were plenty of redemptions available when I booked mine a week ago though seat selection when we fly was already pretty miserable from a legroom perspective. I think it’s going to be a busy season again.

Michael C 668 posts

Lots of availability to Porto and Lisbon around 25-26 July: you’d get to some gorgeous places by car in the north, but also by train. It would make a v easy open-jaw 2-city trip. Lisbon has cute Cascais/Estoril a short direct trainride away for the beach, then the wilder Costa de Caparica in the other direction.

NorthernLass 7,591 posts

@masaccio – I meant those 2 destinations are generally good value for a holiday (though prices have gone up everywhere), OP is looking for avios seats so cost of flights shouldn’t be an issue.

I did have a quick look on SeatSpy out of interest and there was plenty of availability in late July and August to Malaga, Tenerife and Faro.

Fife Flyer 9 posts

My family situation sounds similar to yours. We recently booked 4 x RFS seats to Mallorca this summer and are currently looking for a low key resort and accommodation that’s family friendly, but not overdeveloped. In terms of advice as to where to go on a budget, I’d look at Eurocamp type holidays. We’ve flown to Venice and stayed at Marina di Venezia, it was great. I can also highly recommend Croatia. We flew to Pula this summer and stayed in Rabac and booked a Valamar (brand) hotel which was excellent. You also can’t go wrong with the Algarve – Tavira is a great base to stay or further along the coast at Quinta de Largo! Good luck!

ATC 25 posts

Thanks for all the tips and suggestions. I had started looking at Croatia too. Been to the southern parts but not Pula area. Not really explored Portugal apart from the Algarve so will check out that too.

Normally I’m totally on this as seats are released but a bit behind the curve this time for some reason!

can 506 posts

Hilton Sarigerme and a flight to Dalaman
    The resort is great with not-too-bad points options.
    It is really hot though and they have a good kids club
    My wife wants to go for a third time

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.