Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Frequent flyer programs British Airways Executive Club Taxes on BA flights from London

• Rossy 14 posts

Hello, I’m looking into potential long-haul holiday destinations for Jan 2023 and have a decent volume of avios and a 241 voucher to play with – we’d want to travel economy to keep cash prices down. There doesn’t seem to be any obvious correlation between distance and the taxes charged. Is there a rule of thumb around which destinations are typically less than others? Does time of year have an impact? I don’t suppose there’s a chart for this? If not I might have a go at writing a script to scrape this data instead.

The Savage Squirrel 568 posts

Rossy, there’s no way you should be looking at Avios and 2-for-1 for long haul economy travel.

If you want to keep costs down just pay cash for the economy tickets and save your Avios.
    If you want to use your Avios towards an economy ticket then just convert them to Nectar and use them to buy your food. You can then put the cash you saved towards economy tickets – and you will do better this way. Save your 2-for-1 for another time.

Here’s a good starter article about this:

https://www.headforpoints.com/2021/04/01/what-is-the-best-use-of-avios-points-2/

ChrisC 956 posts

If you are going to try and scrape and analysis date you need to be looking for the BA surcharges not proper government taxes.

zio 249 posts

@Rossy the cash element BA charges on avios bookings is mostly a made-up figure they like to pretend is tax but which in fact is trousered straight by BA.
    There are some proper taxes involved, notably Air Passenger Duty. There are 2 distance bands for this depending on if the distance from London to the capital of your final destination country is up to, or over, 2000 miles. The APD also depends on class of travel, with tax for economy being half (give or take) what you pay in any other cabin.
    As the Savage Squirrel says, long haul avios bookings in economy will be poor value.

Wally1976 188 posts

It annoys me slightly that many on here give a blanket “Avios are no use on long haul economy”. I agree that this is true in many cases but certainly not universally. We saved around £3800 on our August Orlando flights (family of 4) for the use of 150,000 Avios (included 1 Annex 3 companion voucher).

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.