Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Other Destination advice Thailand ATM

• YC 221 posts

Is there a way of withdrawing cash without a fee from ATMs in Thailand? So far I’ve only come across 220thb charges which is not ideal for smaller transactions.

YC 221 posts

I did read u can use Bangkok bank for free but requires going to the actual branch and teller. Wondering if there are any other more convenient tricks?

SamG 1,639 posts

Bit late now but personally (and rather old school of me!) I take GBP notes and exchange them, if you use reputable exchanges (do a Google for local ones, not airports or your hotel) you can get interbank or near enough rates. Carry a copy on your passport on your phone.

I even do this in places like tourist places in Spain now where the same situation exists and I have some reason to have cash, unless I know I’ll be near a Santander

Otherwise not aware of any, withdraw a decent amount at once and keep at your accommodation

YC 221 posts

Thanks Sam. Yeah just trying to avoid a build up of random currencies in an increasingly digital world

SamG 1,639 posts

Thanks Sam. Yeah just trying to avoid a build up of random currencies in an increasingly digital world

Yes I know what you mean, hard to gauge what you’ll need! Another “tip” from me is if you’re staying at a hotel that you’re paying for at check out you can put any excess cash towards the bill on your last day

Very jealous of your trip! Hope you are having a great time

PointsChaser 36 posts

You can change your money at Bangkok airport at SuperRich located at the lower floor near the rail link. They provide excellent exchange rates for buy and sell. Very useful if you are stuck with excess baht at the end of your journey.

BuildBackBetter 705 posts

If the remaining cash isn’t worth much to you, you can be generous on the last day and tip the staff at hotel and restaurants!

YC 221 posts

Good tips – should carry more £ but settling part of the hotel bill in cash / tips / airport donations are good ways to clear cash at the end of the trip

duggie1982 261 posts

Bit late now but personally (and rather old school of me!) I take GBP notes and exchange them, if you use reputable exchanges (do a Google for local ones, not airports or your hotel) you can get interbank or near enough rates. Carry a copy on your passport on your phone.

I even do this in places like tourist places in Spain now where the same situation exists and I have some reason to have cash, unless I know I’ll be near a Santander

Otherwise not aware of any, withdraw a decent amount at once and keep at your accommodation

I done this on my last trip during the start of the pandemic as staying in or around Thailand and neighbouring countries, purely to avoid the Thai Baht charge at ATM’s – I’m from Scotland so made sure it was crisp English £20’s i took

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.