Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Hotel loyalty schemes Marriott Bonvoy The Langley – recent experiences?

• RussellH 154 posts

I was wondering if anyone here had any recent experiences at The Langley, in Iver. I have not seen any recent comments, and search throws up nothing at all. I have a two nights points stay booked for four weeks time, and would be grateful for any comments, +ve or -ve.

NorthernLass 7,462 posts

We had a lovely time last June. Paid 36k pn for 2 nights when there was a points “sale” on. Got an upgraded room as Bonvoy gold in the Brewhouse – huge and very comfortable.

There was a heatwave so it was a lovely walk through the park to the cafe for breakfast al fresco both mornings, might not be as pleasant in Feb though!

We had one dinner at Cedar which was pricey but excellent. Didn’t use the spa facilities as it was hot enough to use the outdoor pool.

The only little niggle was that it was after 5pm by the time our room was ready but it didn’t affect our plans and it was a very busy period.

Green parakeets in the grounds were something to see (am I right in thinking you are a northerner like me and therefore unaccustomed to such tropical splendour?!)

• This reply was modified 54 years, 4 months ago by .
    RussellH 154 posts

Thanks for your comments.

You have, I think, commented before that I must be a northerner. We lived, literally, on the western edge of the Lake District (the national park boundary is the public road) from Christmas 1999 until last Christmas Day. We now live very close to the border between the south of England and the East Midlands. Ironically, you head due north for a couple of miles to cross into the south! So just over an hours drive to the Langley.
    This stay is for my partner’s big birthday – she is keen on spas and it does look good.

Your comments about the Cedar tie in well with others that I have seen, though I value HfP comments more than TripAdviser!

I have had to spend almost all my points – it is now 50K per night, but with room rates around £450 a night I cannot complain. But as a lowly Silver Elite, I am not expecting any fancy upgrades. Possibly worth an e-mail to the hotel to advise about the birthday though.

RussellH 154 posts

Re Green Parakeets:- I grew up just round the corner from Syon House. No parakeets when I was a kid, but plenty there last time I was there (quite a few years ago now, since my parents died).

YC 221 posts

Spa treatment was excellent. If your checkout is in March, hotel should be able to pre-charge your card (amex has a £100 off £400 – I think Langley is on it).

whuaremassive 42 posts

Stay was last May, spa excellent. we walked to the tea room/cafe in the park for a fry up breakfast the next monrning but wasn’t impressed with the food (not cooked to order – reheated)
    We got an uber to Stoke Poges one night – Red Lion pub – food was good

NorthernLass 7,462 posts

@RusselH, I do tend to forget who is located where on here but I vaguely recall you mentioning Cumbria and Lancashire!

MilesOnPoint 80 posts

We stayed at The Langley on points back in June 2021 (previous stay, our first visit, was utilising the £400 Marriott credit on Amex Plat).

Spa facilities are indeed fantastic but be aware these require a booked slot to access, I would recommend doing this prior to arrival to avoid disappointment.

Personally, we found the food to be poor in the main restaurant, not only not worth the money but strange environs and gaudy faux-gothic “chandeliers”, very odd.

Instead, head to the drawing room/Churchill bar for the lighter menu which includes lots of excellent starters/small plates, albeit the main courses are unexciting but nicely made.

Robs recommendation to check out the cafe in the park for breakfast is a good one (or perhaps for a light lunch and walk on day 1 whilst you wait for room to become available). Would avoid chaotic setup at Langley breakfast in the morning, either by using the cafe above or ordering breakfast to the room for a small tray charge.

Overall the property is lovely, visually striking building, set in beautiful grounds. However, there are tell tale signs of it being designed for the American market with poor quality reproduction paintings littering the lobby and other areas and some other questionable interiors choices.

Would I pay £500? Not a chance. 50,000 Bonvoy points remains excellent value though, especially for the spa which is first class (inc Himalayan salt Sauna). The in-room Hermes toiletries are well worth taking home with you.

RussellH 154 posts

Thanks for the above. Very useful. “lots of excellent starters/small plates” is just what my partner likes, so that is good news. I am planning to contact the place anyway to ask about the spa facilities.

I would not be paying £500 either! Not sure that I would be paying the cash equivalent of 50,000 Bonvoy points either, but it is a special occasion, and this is just the sort of thing points are for.

We have only once before styed at a place with Hermès toiletries, and that was a competition win.

And I do have £50 off £200 on my BA Amex too, which will help too.

So thanks to HfP – I would never have heard of the place otherwise, nor would I have been aware of all these little ways of making things more affordable.

NorthernLass 7,462 posts

@RussellH – my OH loved it (he shares his surname with the hotel so went a bit lord of the manor while we were there 😂). He was very taken with the Japanese-style toilet once he worked out what it was and it currently incorporating one into our new bathroom 🤦‍♀️. We will definitely go back at some point now they seem to not be coming after us for the slippers … 🙈😂😂😂

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.