Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Frequent flyer programs British Airways Executive Club Are Finnair flights ‘eligible flights’ for British Airways status?

• danimal 90 posts

I’ve recently had tier points credited to my BA account from a Finnair flight (Ldn/Helsinki/Bangkok) BUT no additional “eligible flights” which I need to get Silver. I was under the impression that Finnair flights were Codeshares with BA and so would be “eligible”.

shutter 8 posts

My impression is that it needs to be BA metal but someone can probably answer more precisely if you can advise whether you bought the tickets from BA or from Finnair? Does the e-ticket number start “125”?

JDB 4,339 posts

BA defines ‘eligible flights’ “as those flights marketed or operated by British Airways and those flights marketed and operated by Iberia.

‘Marketed’ means the flight will have a BA flight number (in your itinerary or on your ticket).”

I believe you need to have booked the flight as a codeshare with the BA flight number, it can’t just be a flight that has codeshares with various airlines so, as stated above, it depends how you booked.

• This reply was modified 54 years, 4 months ago by .
    danimal 90 posts

Interesting. Well the flight was booked through BA, then they cancelled it and rerouted it with Finnair on a Finnair flight number but with the original BA booking reference.

ChrisC 956 posts

I’d definitly contact BA about this.

Not your fault you were switched from BA to AY metal and lost the BA codeshare number in the process and even though you got the TPs you want the qualifying flight credit.

Also check the avios because AY coded flights get fewer avios than BA coded flights.

AJA 1,062 posts

You need to apply to BA for Original Routing Credit. This will award you the TP and Avios (including any tier and / or cabin bonuses as per the original reservation. Only do this if you have actually been credited fewer TP or Avios than you should have received.

This is a guide courtesy of dylanks over on FlyerTalk:

Home / British Airways | Executive Club
    Original Routing Credit Beginner’s Guide
    dylanks , May 25, 16 1:38 pm
    Overview

If you fly enough and care about the quest for reaching levels of status on BA, then you’re bound to run into irregular operations (IRROPS) at some point over your tier point year, whether it’s on BA or a One World partner.

Many people ask how to get credit for the ticket they purchased, but if this is not explained clearly, you may get the run around.

This guide covers this topic, known as Original Routing Credit (ORC) on both BA and other airlines such as AA. Many even report that AA is difficult to receive ORC, but this is contrary to my experience. This short guide will give advice on how to request ORC. Feel free to provide your own tips and suggestions to make this useful to others.

Criteria

If you were rerouted or downgraded, but remained on a OneWorld airline, wait either until the reduced amount of tier points have posted, or until 8 days after the flight was flown.

If you were moved to a non-OW airline, send in your email after the flights were flown.

In all cases, you contact BA for original routing credit if you are crediting the flights to BAEC.

Making a call

If you prefer the phone, here are my tips for making a call:

1. Get all of your background information in order, including the following for both the travel that was booked, and what you were rerouted on: Confirmation number, flight numbers, flight dates, ticket numbers
    2. Call the BAEC number. Explain that you are seeking Original Routing Credit (ORC) for your flights that suffered from a disruption/IRROPS.
    3. Give the BA agent the information as succinctly as possible. Calmly stick to the facts (the less they have to process, the more efficiently they can help you)
    4. They will tell you that it will take 4 weeks. In practice, 10 days seems to be typical.
    5. Call back 7-10 days later to check on the status of your request.
    6. If you receive an email from BA denying your claim, call BAEC again, explain that you have an open request for missing avios and tier points for a flight disruption on AA, and you are confused by a status update that you received.
    7. Be patient, calm, friendly, courteous, and persistent, and you should eventually receive credit for the ticket you purchased via BAEC, regardless of whom AA rebooked you on.
    8. Remember that it is not the BA agent’s fault that the system is imperfect, so the more you can do to make it easy for them to help, the more likely you are to get a positive outcome.

Writing a letter

I generally prefer writing a letter instead of a call, especially in the case of a more complex disruption. I would write something like this:

Quote:
    Dear BA,

On my recent itinerary on <AIRLINE>, my <FLIGHTS|CLASS OF SERVICE> was impacted due to IRROPS.

My original routing on <DATE> was <AAA-BBB-CCC> on flights <FLIGHT NUMBERS> in <CLASS OF SERVICE>, but due to <DESCRIBE DELAY IN A FEW WORDS, e.g. mechanical delay, canceled flight, weather delay, etc.>, I was instead routed on <DATE>, <AAA-BBB-CCC> on flights <FLIGHT NUMBERS> in <CLASS OF SERVICE>.

I would like to request Original Routing Credit, as the originally flown itinerary would credit more tier points and avios than originally received.

My ticket number for this itinerary is <TICKET NUMBER> and the <AIRLINE> <PNR|record locator> is <AAAAAA>. <If rerouted to a non-OW airline, then provide the same info for the new ticket and airline>

Thanks for your time and patience!
    You should of course customize this into your own writing style, as most of you are probably not Americans.

Send the email to general BA email (or GGL email if you have this status).

danimal 90 posts

Thank you. That’s a very comprehensive reply.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.