Forums › Frequent flyer programs › British Airways Executive Club › Tier points on “book with cash, upgrade with Avios” fares
Tier points on “book with cash, upgrade with Avios” fares
If you book, say, WTP with cash and upgrade to CW with avios do you get the tier points based on WTP or CW?
I ask because I did this recently and got the latter, which was a pleasant surprise but not necessarily what I was expecting. Maybe I have had a BA IT error work in my favour.
This is one of those don’t complain and don’t talk about it too loudly situations.
I found a glitch in the system a few years ago when i travelled to the states a lot. If I phoned up to book an open jaw ticket, paying cash for PE (company policy) but upgrading the overnight return ticket with avios, then I received the tier points and avios values for 1 PE and 1 CW. Something to do with the way they had to book it. Would often earn nearly enough avios to cover the upgrade but got to retain Gold waaaaay faster. Haven’t tried it since the pandemic but worked a treat for 2 years
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Popular articles this week:
As T5 security crisis looms, Virgin Atlantic allows rebooking (from T3) whilst BA (at T5) does not
Miles & More miles expiry is coming for ex-cardholders – what can you book before Friday?
Bits: British Airways adds English sparkling wine, easyJet launches Twilight Bag Drop at Edinburgh
New to Head for Points?
Welcome! We’re the UK’s most-read source of business travel, Avios, frequent flyer and hotel loyalty news. Let us improve how you travel. Got any questions? Ask them in our forums.
Win 1 million Avios when you apply for a Barclaycard Avios credit card by 2nd April. Exclusive to HfP readers.
Latest Forum Posts
- Peter K on 15% off Reward Nights
- Luca M on Retention offer booboo? Did I make a mistake?
- Roberto on 12 months since opening. No tracker for next upgrade voucher
- kevinchoi on Upgrade voucher – when does it appear in account?
- pacman on Can anyone advise how to view Avios earned on the Barclaycard app?
- nwoody2001 on Lufthansa EU compensation – help please
- Mikee on Confirmation of one-stay status retention
- NorthernLass on Action required before you fly to the USA
- Froggee on Action required before you fly to the USA
- JDB on CCJ against British Airways
Check reward flight availability instantly for free!
Booking a luxury hotel?
Our luxury hotel booking service offers you GUARANTEED extra benefits over booking direct. Works with Four Seasons, Mandarin Oriental, The Ritz Carlton, St Regis and more. We've booked £1.7 million of rooms to date. Click for details.