Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Frequent flyer programs British Airways Executive Club Tier points on “book with cash, upgrade with Avios” fares

• tomahawk 71 posts

If you book, say, WTP with cash and upgrade to CW with avios do you get the tier points based on WTP or CW?

I ask because I did this recently and got the latter, which was a pleasant surprise but not necessarily what I was expecting. Maybe I have had a BA IT error work in my favour.

R 59 posts

This is one of those don’t complain and don’t talk about it too loudly situations.

tomahawk 71 posts

I suspected as much

jalternation 12 posts

I found a glitch in the system a few years ago when i travelled to the states a lot. If I phoned up to book an open jaw ticket, paying cash for PE (company policy) but upgrading the overnight return ticket with avios, then I received the tier points and avios values for 1 PE and 1 CW. Something to do with the way they had to book it. Would often earn nearly enough avios to cover the upgrade but got to retain Gold waaaaay faster. Haven’t tried it since the pandemic but worked a treat for 2 years

cats_are_best 99 posts

Had similar in December.

Sometimes the BA IT hamster wheels turn in our favour.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.