Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Frequent flyer programs British Airways Executive Club Today I qualified for BA Silver… what happens next?

• RainbowRose 7 posts

Hi everyone

I’ve been BA Bronze a few times but this is my first time being silver. I flew on Friday and today my app was a little slow to open as it changed the colour scheme 🤣

So what happens now? Will I get something in the post?

When I check in at the airport in future (in the Business Class check in 🙃 will they help guide me in what to do?

I’ve heard you sometimes need to book the lounge. Where do you do that? At present I’m not booked to fly BA again til next month but I daresay a short hop somewhere might crop up before then.

RainbowRose 7 posts

Ooh. I’ve just noticed that the app gives me the lounge WiFi password 🥰

Tracey 211 posts

No need to book the lounge. You just show your boarding pass at the entrance and you are allowed in.

Tracey 211 posts

…and remember you should be in a priority boarding group on your next flight, so join the right queue to board.

Andrew J 769 posts

And any bookings you have or make will now offer you free seat assignment and extra luggage (except hand luggage only fares). And you can use fast track security at LHR. The lounges are very low quality though (and it’s not possible to pre-book them, but I’ve not heard of people being turned away).

John 1,000 posts

Will I get something in the post?

Not since 2020.

When I check in at the airport in future (in the Business Class check in 🙃 will they help guide me in what to do?

What do you think you will need to do differently?

RainbowRose 7 posts

Will I get something in the post?

Not since 2020.

What do you think you will need to do differently?

Find my way to the lounge mostly 🤣

I’m looking forward to finding some peace at the airport rather than some of the manic crowds at the moment 😕☹️

RainbowRose 7 posts

No need to book the lounge. You just show your boarding pass at the entrance and you are allowed in.

Brilliant! Thanks Tracey

RainbowRose 7 posts

And any bookings you have or make will now offer you free seat assignment and extra luggage (except hand luggage only fares). And you can use fast track security at LHR. The lounges are very low quality though (and it’s not possible to pre-book them, but I’ve not heard of people being turned away).

This will be handy 🥰

Andrew J 769 posts

I’m looking forward to finding some peace at the airport rather than some of the manic crowds at the moment

You won’t find that in the BA lounge I’m afraid.

AL 577 posts

I’m looking forward to finding some peace at the airport rather than some of the manic crowds at the moment

The only advantages the LHR A lounges have over London Zoo do appear to be the admission price.

memesweeper 1,255 posts

You can now select seats for free on your existing bookings.

Mouse 173 posts

A couple of jaded comments on here! I have been BA silver or gold since 2014. I remember how excited I was when I got there. I still love waltzing through fast track security, sipping champagne in the lounge and boarding first. Fine, security are still unhelpful, the lounge is hardly the Ritz and you get the same legroom whether you board first or last, but for me the perks make the difference between a tedious experience and an enjoyable one. Free food and drink tastes so good! You can always find something to criticize but I think it’s pretty sweet.

astra19 53 posts

I agree Mouse! I’ve been Silver for a while now but I’m actually only really about to use the “fun” perks for the first time today because it’s my first BA short-haul economy flight in a while. I’m looking forward to it!

marshy11 247 posts

Congratulations from me. I for one appreciate any freebies that I’m given, even if that is only a change of queue!

Richie 989 posts

The only advantages the LHR A lounges have over London Zoo do appear to be the admission price.

Avoid 23rd July.

sm 178 posts

First time ever achieving bronze this week. Think I can pick seats free of charge 7 days before flights – can you tell me will it be automatic on MMB or do you think as it was booked when I was a lowly blue it might not be? Thanks in advance.

AndyGWP 275 posts

First time ever achieving bronze this week. Think I can pick seats free of charge 7 days before flights – can you tell me will it be automatic on MMB or do you think as it was booked when I was a lowly blue it might not be? Thanks in advance.

Congrats. You should be able to reserve the seats (within the 7 days of departure) as soon as the BA website recognises your Bronze status. If it won’t let you, you can call them (if you have the patience 🤣 – and as long as your Bronze status is confirmed)

• This reply was modified 54 years, 4 months ago by .
    sm 178 posts

Thank you Andygwp. Hope it does work!

ChrisC 956 posts

Take into account the 7 days is based on the time of your flight so if it’s 3pm checking at 2.30 7 days before will still come up asking for payment.

The timetable for ticking over a status threshold is usually

Day 1 – do flight

Day 3 – flights post TP/Avios triggering the change.

Day 5 – status gets updated

Greenpen 10 posts

Feel sorry you’re not a Gold. Strive for that level!

Seriously, Silver is a great level, enjoy how it makes your travel easier and gets you the extra leg room in exit seats as you can book them. Saves paying for Club Europe too.

modestpointscollector 64 posts

Don’t listen to the haters! T5 has been absolutely crazy in all *public* areas the last few times i’ve been – So escaping them even to the A lounges has been nice. There has always been enough space for a table to seat 2/3 of us in comfort, free pour Champagne is back, the food is *fine* albeit not great. I was quite upset at losing Silver at the end of this year but think I may have accidentally re-qualified after my last trip which would be a lovely surprise 🙂

Over the years i’ve heavily utilised the mix of instant seat selection (especially on short haul), extra bag, priority check in, fast track security and lounge to make trips more enjoyable, so enjoy it while you can! The last 3 items I mentioned can be pretty hit and miss at the foreign airports but if you’re travelling from T5 I think it’s great. If you’re really lucky you’ll be travelling from one of the few flights from T3 and able to take advantage of the non-BA lounges there that are really good (not quite as good as pre-covid but certainly nice IMHO)

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.