Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Frequent flyer programs British Airways Executive Club TP & Avios on upgraded reward booking?

• _Tom 27 posts

Flew to DXB over the new year period, booked in W both ways, purchased with Avios using an AMEX 2-4-1 voucher.

Outbound, we upgraded W>J at the check in desk at LHR, using cash. Inbound, we flew in W as planned.

Both my partner and I received 140 TP and a few thousand Avios for the outbound flight. This was an unexpected bonus, we did not realise that upgrading with cash would trigger TP and Avios on a reward booking.

Inbound, to my complete surprise, I received 90 TP and a few thousand Avios – but my partner received neither TP or Avios.

I don’t want to ‘chase’ for his missing TP/Avios if actually neither of us were entitled to them and I just got lucky.

Thank you for any pointers!

• This topic was modified 54 years, 4 months ago by .
    Thegasman 204 posts

You shouldn’t have received Avios or TP’s for either leg so keep quiet is my advice. Presumably at some point there has been a change in the booking beyond the upgrade & the redemption fare bucket has dropped off the booking when this was processed?

It used to be a well known bug that upgrading a cash WTP with Avios to CW earned CW Avios/TP’s but that was fixed a while ago & wouldn’t apply here anyway.

_Tom 27 posts

Thank you for the advice. It’s certainly a mystery, but I’ll definitely take the advice to keep quiet!

KP 27 posts

Its a known bug. You get the avios and TP if you upgrade with cash (on avios booking or booking upgraded with avios). Also if you have an avios booking and your flight is rescheduled etc., highly likely you will receive the avios and TP

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.