Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Other London life Trains – Delay repay question

• The real Swiss Tony 654 posts

Not sure where best to ask this…

So I’ve had a bit of a mare with trains this week, with a 1hr journey taking 4hrs in both directions of a return ticket.

Chiltern have already repaid the full ticket price relating to the outbound delay. Do I qualify for another slug of cash from the return leg as well, or is that my lot?

Thanks

John 1,000 posts

Under the NRCOT paragraph 32.2:

For claims made under the industry arrangements (set out at paragraph 32.1.1 above)
    for losses caused by the delay and/or cancellation of a train service, you can only recover
    up to the price of your Ticket. However, in exceptional circumstances, a Train Company
    may consider claims for other losses. This will be for the Train Company to decide in its
    sole discretion, unlike your legal rights set out in paragraph 32.1 above.

Now, if you happened to have a ticket which was valid on both Chiltern and WMT, and travelled with one TOC outbound and the other inbound and were delayed by over 2 hours both times, you might receive the full price back from both companies…

However, there is now a mechanism in place to detect which tickets have been already used for claims.

Furthermore, some train companies have begun to fish through historical data and invite people with dubious claims for compensation and/or refunds for an interview.

The real Swiss Tony 654 posts

Many thanks – thought that would be the case.

The real Swiss Tony 654 posts

Update on this – they have now paid compensation on both legs, which was unexpected.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.