Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Other Destination advice Travel insurance for over 80s

• jumpersforgoalposts 47 posts

Hi all

My gran is visiting India for 3 months. She is 84 and is doing one final pilgrimage there. She has no medical conditions. I’ve used the usual insurance comparison websites but cannot get anything.

Has anyone got any advice or recommendations please?

The Savage Squirrel 572 posts

At 3 months, the length of trip is likely to be a big issue here and will basically exclude just about every off-the-shelf annual or single-trip policy available for the over 80s. You will need a bespoke individual quote from an underwriter.

Cranzle 272 posts

She could get a Nationwide Flex Plus account and then pay for the age upgrade, and the length of trip upgrade. This is the easiest and most hassle free method I could find for a similar situation. Other companies were quoting absolutely ridiculous premiums for cover.

davefl 1,222 posts

w w w.staysure.co.uk/long-stay-travel-insurance/

Keep it a day under 3 months and she can get single trip with Staysure. NY24 code gives 20% off if you hurry.

davefl 1,222 posts

Spam filter hates me this morning. Try Staysure, click long stay, code NY24 for 20% off if you hurry.

Keep it a day under 3 months for a single trip option.

Use the co uk site not com

E 92 posts

Did you check if Saga would cover this? They were good for our elderly relatives (80s and 90s) though they were expensive.

The real Swiss Tony 662 posts

84 and no medical conditions is quite the achievement given our ability to detect stuff now – congratulations to her.

Just to stress however – and I say this from experience of my father being hospitalised in the USA – the first thing the insurer will do if a claim needs to be made is get your consent to contact your GP and obtain a medical history. Make sure they don’t have a reason to withhold payment and I suspect the additional loading for what might seem like a minor niggle will actually be quite modest given the base premium anyway.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.