Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards American Express United offer for friends ticket

• Ash 621 posts

Anyone used the United £250 offer to book a flight but for a friend/relative. Will it work? I’m not travelling myself.

Secondly, do you receive either United miles or Avios (via Aer Lingus).

davefl 1,218 posts
    Ash 621 posts

Thank you.

Re avios/miles….what i meant to say is do i receive them when booking and paying for tickets for friends/family. My hunch is no,, as l my frequent flyer account numbers wont tally with the passenger names.

John 1,000 posts

Obviously the passenger collects miles in their own account, that’s the case on all airlines regardless of who pays, unless you’re booking a flight where you know ID will not be checked and you’re willing to take the risk that you won’t be caught and forfeit your account.

davefl 1,218 posts

Thank you.

Re avios/miles….what i meant to say is do i receive them when booking and paying for tickets for friends/family. My hunch is no,, as l my frequent flyer account numbers wont tally with the passenger names.

No, only the ticketed and flown passenger gets Airline points/status credit and miles.

AJA 1,062 posts

Be aware that the passenger loses s75 protection if you buy for someone else unrelated to you and do not travel yourself. That may be fine given the discount.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.