Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards American Express Unsuccessful application review – now 4 weeks!

• bungalow 179 posts

I currently already hold 2 Amex cards and have been an Amex customer for as far back as I can recall, certainly 15-20 years. I have never been refused a card, never been refused credit, always pay off in full, have no mortgage, no debt whatsoever. Perfect credit score and history.
    I applied for the BAPP card for the enhanced bonus offer and to my astonishment was turned down.
    The notifying email referred me specifically “In particular our decision was influenced by information in your credit report.”
    I have contacted both reference agencies they referred me to and neither has had a search done on my file in months.
    I challenged the decision with Amex and they submitted the application for review, citing a timescale of decision via email in 5-7 working days.
    I gave it over a week and called them, no news, I have called them a further 3 times since and they keep telling me the review got past “the first stage” 3 weeks ago, has moved on to the next department and I should wait just a few more days.
    It will be 4 weeks tomorrow!

As I said, I am and have been an Amex customer for years, but given this is a different card application would I be entitled to lodge a formal complaint? And if so, would it be a total waste of time anyway?
    It is all so frustrating.

Froggee 898 posts

Of course you are entitled. Would it be beneficial? I doubt it. Given that you already have two Amex cards and pretty much all card issuers appear to be looking to restrict rather than offer additional credit, I suspect the issue might be that Amex feel they have extended you enough credit.

I would imaginé the correct strategy post rejection would have been to call and ask if it might be possible to reduce credit on one of the other Amex cards to make headroom for the BAPP. Given that you are four weeks into the review process and you’ve repeatedly contacted them, I’m not sure if that would now be beneficial or otherwise.

bungalow 179 posts

My initial thought exactly, so the first thing I did before making the appeal was reduce the credit on my cards online by half, which showed in my Amex account immediately.

Harrier25 852 posts

Sorry, my post had already been covered above, so deleted.

Froggee 898 posts

Oh – that sucks then. Assuming there is no churning/referral angle that Amex appear to be tightening up against then hopefully you’ll have a shout. Personally I wouldn’t chase further. If they do eventually confirm rejection I’d then consider my options. But it might just be best to sit on it for six months and then try again making sure utilisation etc on any cards (Amex and non-Amex) is low when you apply.

bungalow 179 posts

Wasn’t churning as I obviously hadn’t held the BAPP for over 2 years, and currently hold 2 others, one of which I’ve held for over 3 years! No referral issues at my end either, I applied via the direct link Rob posted on the site for the 70,000 bonus.
    At a loss here to understand it, totally perplexed…

RK228 204 posts

I would imaginé the correct strategy post rejection would have been to call and ask if it might be possible to reduce credit on one of the other Amex cards to make headroom for the BAPP.

This would likely have been the best move after the initial rejection. I think it’s critical to call to do this and not just amend the credit limit online.

I did this a few weeks ago to a positive result. P2 did the same for Platinum last year.

BuildBackBetter 705 posts

Check your credit limits. Amex constantly increases your limits to crazy levels. Add up all the credit limits you have and compare against your income.

Harrier25 852 posts

I applied via the direct link Rob posted on the site for the 70,000 bonus.

If you manage to get it sorted to reapply, I would suggest not clicking through from Rob’s link, but just going directly to the British Airways Executive Club site from your home page, log in and apply. I could be wrong, but the most obvious link to me on whether applicants are receiving 70,000 points or 35,000 is clicking through the link via HfP.

bungalow 179 posts

I applied via the direct link Rob posted on the site for the 70,000 bonus.

If you manage to get it sorted to reapply, I would suggest not clicking through from Rob’s link, but just going directly to the British Airways Executive Club site from your home page, log in and apply. I could be wrong, but the most obvious link to me on whether applicants are receiving 70,000 points or 35,000 is clicking through the link via HfP.

Yeah was thinking that myself, but at the time Robs link was the only route offering the enhanced bonus.
    Would definitely use the direct page now if given the option.

JDB 4,386 posts

Check your credit limits. Amex constantly increases your limits to crazy levels. Add up all the credit limits you have and compare against your income.

In your account online (not the app) you can set how you want or don’t want credit limit increases actioned.

chrishond 42 posts

Applied for spouse to the the ba premium. She has existing Amex. Been refused. Will call tomorrow to reduce limit on her rewards card, which is very high.

How long to wait before can reapply?

bungalow 179 posts

So, an update.

Got an email yesterday, totally random, “welcome to card alerts”!?
    Another email today, “your card application has been approved”!
    Ten minutes later the new BAPP lands in the post!
    So almost 6 weeks from, application – submit for review – approval.
    Just registered the card online, a HUGE credit limit, plus tracking on the 70,000 bonus points extended to 30th May.

Happy ending but still none the wiser.

What could be simpler eh… 🙂

bungalow 179 posts

* Oh, is there still a bonus link for adding a supplementary?

lordy 51 posts
    Skywalker 700 posts

Great news @bungalow

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.