Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards American Express Upgrading free BA card to BAPP to trigger CV

• traveldoc2013 3 posts

I have £83 left to spend on my free BA amex card before hitting a £10,000 annual spend. I don’t want to wait until £12,000 as wouldn’t use a Companion voucher for economy. Should I hit the £10,000 spend (but less than £12,000) before upgrading my card to trigger a BAPP 2-year Companion voucher immediately on upgrade? Or wait until I upgrade the card and then hit the £10,000 spend? I’m not sure if Amex will reset my total annual spend to £0 if I upgrade before hitting £10,000. Thanks for thoughts.

polly 289 posts

No, no.. definitely upgrade BEFORE you hit the 10k.. real hassle trying to persuade Amex to change it. I just did this yesterday, had about 100 to go.. it didn’t work online, so had to phone in. Converted to PP within 2 hours. My spend after that has already 1.5 avios this morning…

AJA 1,070 posts

As @polly says, upgrade NOW. Do NOT wait until you’ve spent the £10k

traveldoc2013 3 posts

Thanks both. Thought as much but great to have confirmation before I upgrade! Cheers

Yuff 40 posts

I have just gone to upgrade my free ba amex, which indisngraded last year after triggering the companion voucher, and they said I’m not eligible to upgrade the card……
    Bit annoying as I have some large purchases to make and my wife’s card is £600 from triggering the voucher.

Guernsey Globetrotter 587 posts

I have just gone to upgrade my free ba amex, which indisngraded last year after triggering the companion voucher, and they said I’m not eligible to upgrade the card……
    Bit annoying as I have some large purchases to make and my wife’s card is £600 from triggering the voucher.

Did you do that via chat @Yuff ? If so, it may be worth trying to use this link instead…

https://www.americanexpress.com/uk/benefits/upgrade/ba-premium-plus-credit-card/

Yuff 40 posts

https://www.americanexpress.com/uk/benefits/upgrade/ba-premium-plus-credit-card/[/quote]

They won’t even discuss it on chat, phoned twice. Both times to try and get a bonus for spending a decent amount. They weren’t interested.

Thanks @guernseyglobetrotter I will give that a go today.

Whereabouts in Guernsey are you?

Yuff 40 posts

Update

Just used link and accepted for upgrade instantly 🤷🏻‍♂️

Update

Just used link and accepted for upgrade instantly 🤷🏻‍♂️

Glad it worked ! Re your earlier question, I’m a West coaster on the rock so have a daily 7 mile commute to St Peter Port for my job, where I try and make rich people richer, whilst lurking on here to pass the time 😉

Eggtastico 43 posts

Sorry to hijack as first post, but I also looking to do this, however I have passed £10,000 threshold & just shy of £12000.
    Would the voucher be added to my account straight away with all the benefits of a BAPP voucher?

Sorry to hijack as first post, but I also looking to do this, however I have passed £10,000 threshold & just shy of £12000.
    Would the voucher be added to my account straight away with all the benefits of a BAPP voucher?

Yes, but you will likely receive a voucher with a one year expiry, not the two years that is standard for BAPP. It has been reported on here that you can get it extended via chat.

Eggtastico 43 posts

Thanks – I know the upgrade website says to call if it only has 1 year expiry.
    I am looking to travel around 25 Jan next year. My anniversary date is 28th Jan.
    So might just wait until the 25th knowing I will trigger the voucher straight away.
    I dont fancy a 14hr flight in Economy!!!!
    Once flights are booked & voucher taken I will be cancelling the card once a decent platinum offer comes along!

Yuff 40 posts

Glad it worked ! Re your earlier question, I’m a West coaster on the rock so have a daily 7 mile commute to St Peter Port for my job, where I try and make rich people richer, whilst lurking on here to pass the time 😉[/quote]

As in Grandes Rocques?
    Is it really 7 miles to St Peter port from there?
    Mind you with that silly one way system near the Camp du Roi, that won’t help!
    Assume you work for a bank or a trust fund company, I have a couple of friends who work over there, one works with pension trusts and the other works at Ravenscoft.

Glad it worked ! Re your earlier question, I’m a West coaster on the rock so have a daily 7 mile commute to St Peter Port for my job, where I try and make rich people richer, whilst lurking on here to pass the time 😉

As in Grandes Rocques?
    Is it really 7 miles to St Peter port from there?
    Mind you with that silly one way system near the Camp du Roi, that won’t help!
    Assume you work for a bank or a trust fund company, I have a couple of friends who work over there, one works with pension trusts and the other works at Ravenscoft.[/quote]

It’s a small world @Yuff ! I’m actually down L’eree way, and my house is right by mile marker stone 7 (measured from the town church). I know a lot of the Ravenscroft team well – really good locally owned outfit. Maybe we can have a HfP Guernsey summer party if you come over sometime!

Yuff 40 posts

It’s a small world @Yuff ! I’m actually down L’eree way, and my house is right by mile marker stone 7 (measured from the town church). I know a lot of the Ravenscroft team well – really good locally owned outfit. Maybe we can have a HfP Guernsey summer party if you come over sometime![/quote]

Never noticed the marker stone but have probably driven past it 100s of times on the way to the Indian, which is the only one we ever go to over there.
    Would be good to catch up as I remember reading how you hammered the IHG card….fair play
    I know quite a few people at Ravenscroft, went to school with one of the directors and best friend does the marketing…….

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.