Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Frequent flyer programs British Airways Executive Club Upgrading on Iberia with Avios – how does it work?

• meta 1,426 posts

I am looking on upgrading with Iberia from PE to Business. What is the best route?

Same cash price via Iberia and BA.

I priced it via BAEC (book and upgrade with Avios) which is slightly more expensive (cca £70 more) than booking PE cash directly from BA or Iberia.

Can I first buy cheaper cash ticket on BA then upgrade it through MMB/calling BA? Or is there a better route directly with Iberia? Ticket class is T for PE if that makes a difference.

e14 258 posts

Hi, you can’t upgrade an Iberia PE T class fare using BA Avios the fare bucket would have to be W which would be more than a £70 fare increase

You can upgrade the BA T class using BA Avios

Caveat – I have no idea if you book with Iberia if you can then UUA the booking using Avios held in an Iberia account

I assume you are looking at BCN – JFK in which case the increase in BA YQ will also be circa 270 Euro.

meta 1,426 posts

It’s absolutely possible to UuA via BAEC, just not sure whether it’s better via Iberia Plus or if this can be done directly via MMB on BA rather than Book and upgrade option with BAEC. BA is not adding YQ on the route in question or is only £70 more.

e14 258 posts

It’s absolutely possible to UuA via BAEC, just not sure whether it’s better via Iberia Plus or if this can be done directly via MMB on BA rather than Book and upgrade option with BAEC. BA is not adding YQ on the route in question or is only £70 more.

I’d do it via BA at least you know the terms of the Book With Confidence Policy

The Original Nick 112 posts

I’d be interested in this as I’ve got a flight booked with Iberia MAD – JFK in Premium Economy. I can’t find a way of UUA. Please can you tell me how to find the fare bucket? I’ve looked on the eticket but that just gives me the ticket number 125-XXXXXXXX. I’m sure I saw the fare bucket before but maybe that was when I waas booking. Thanks

meta 1,426 posts

It only shows when you book, but it may also show in your e-ticket email.

T class is definitely not upgradable via BA. Iberia has some really good PE fares at the moment, but flexibility is the weak point.

Yes I booked MAD JFK in PE and JFK – MAD Business for less than what BA were asking for LHR – JFK, JFK – LHR both in PE. I don’t mind flying down to Madrid for a night in July that’s for sure. More tier points too. I got exit seats in PE for free too. What flights are you finding?

meta 1,426 posts

Madrid-Lima return. I just booked via BAEC. It worked out at £1.6k + 59k Avios for 2 people in business. I’ll earn some 15k Avios back per person plus tier points. Cancellation rules also quite good (outside book with confidence policy). Last two seats on both legs too. This is my plan B trip for Easter as Japan is unlikely to open up.

Sounds good. We did MAD – HAV February 2020 (just before lockdown) in Business which was very good.

andrew 20 posts

It only shows when you book, but it may also show in your e-ticket email.

T class is definitely not upgradable via BA. Iberia has some really good PE fares at the moment, but flexibility is the weak point.

I thought that but I was surprised to see in the BAEC Conditions of Use that all Iberia fare classes are eligible for UUA just like BA…

https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/executive-club/terms-and-conditions/conditions-of-use#upgradeusingaviosonbaaaandibflights

Upgrading using Avios points on AA and IB Flights are permitted on eligible published fares only. Eligible fare classes to upgrade on AA are J, C, D and Y. Eligible fare classes to upgrade on IB are W, E, T, Y, B and H.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.