Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards Barclaycard Avios Upgrading to Plus card after downgrading

• DoubleA 24 posts

Hi

I took out the Avios Plus version when it first came out, achieved the spend targets, got the bonus and voucher and then downgraded.
    Within a month, for a variety of reasons, I decided I should have stayed put so I asked if I could flip back. I was told that I had to wait for the option to appear in the app. Given others comments around a 6 month period to change cards, I waited and waited. Now on about 8-9 months since the downgrade and still being told the same with no-one being able to say when the option will appear.

Anyone had any success in upgrading after they’d downgraded. I’d probably have been better to cancel rather than downgrade.

Any data points appreciated!

Thanks

rum 275 posts

In a similar position here, although I’m not entirely sure they deserve me to go back to the Plus…

I had it, earned sign up bonus and kept it for a month or two after that before downgrading. Since then, I’ve spent around 11-12K and my anniversary date is next week. Would have got my voucher by now had I stayed on the Plus. But in my opinion, it’s not a big enough reason to be paying £20 a month for it.

I’ll be moving my Barclays Premier account as well. Can’t justify keeping it at £12/month in this day and age.

ClubSmed 170 posts

I am in a similar position.
    I am a Premier account holder and have the Barclaycard Platinum.
    I have been wanting to change cards to the Barclaycard Avios Plus, but the only options in the app are Barclaycard Rewards and the basic Barclaycard Avios.
    I keep hoping that the selection will change, but it has not in the last 8/9 months.

NorthernLass 7,472 posts

@rum, could you not have managed £20k and got a voucher anyway?

rum 275 posts

@rum, could you not have managed £20k and got a voucher anyway?

Probably. But it would mean shifting spend from BAPP which gives me more avios per £1.

Luca M 391 posts

My wife has product swapped from Platinum to Avios and few times between the Avios cards already. In our experience the card options looks to be complete only at certain time of the day, but cannot remember if it was early morning or late at night. I would suggest that you check again both like at 7-8am and 10pm to midnight

DoubleA 24 posts

Thanks for the feedback all. I wonder if swapping to a platinum then opens up Avios Plus after?

I’ve just realised that I’ve spent nearly £7k on a card I was trying not to use, so I’m now thinking I’ll make a dash for the £20k spend target and see what happens after a 12mth anniversary on this card in Sept.

WillPS 194 posts

In a similar position here, although I’m not entirely sure they deserve me to go back to the Plus…

I had it, earned sign up bonus and kept it for a month or two after that before downgrading. Since then, I’ve spent around 11-12K and my anniversary date is next week. Would have got my voucher by now had I stayed on the Plus. But in my opinion, it’s not a big enough reason to be paying £20 a month for it.

I’ll be moving my Barclays Premier account as well. Can’t justify keeping it at £12/month in this day and age.

£12 is for Premier Avios, the account itself is free (so long as you meet the ongoing eligibility criteria). Even if you take the points instead of an upgrade voucher and then convert the whole lot to Nectar, it’s effectively £165 worth of Nectar points for £144. Not the kings ransom but worth keeping hold of for lack of anything better.

You can take Blue Rewards instead if you like, or have neither.

rum 275 posts

£12 is for Premier Avios, the account itself is free (so long as you meet the ongoing eligibility criteria). Even if you take the points instead of an upgrade voucher and then convert the whole lot to Nectar, it’s effectively £165 worth of Nectar points for £144. Not the kings ransom but worth keeping hold of for lack of anything better.

I know the £12 is for Premier Avios, but this is HfP and I don’t know anyone here who has Barclays Premier as standalone. There is no benefit to having it just on its own.

The pain you go through with Barclays CS is just not worth any time or £££ of mine so I have voted with my feet. I’ve kept the Barclaycard Avios card which has no fee and that works fine for me.

WillPS 194 posts

I know the £12 is for Premier Avios, but this is HfP and I don’t know anyone here who has Barclays Premier as standalone. There is no benefit to having it just on its own.

The pain you go through with Barclays CS is just not worth any time or £££ of mine so I have voted with my feet. I’ve kept the Barclaycard Avios card which has no fee and that works fine for me.

There are benefits to having the account on its own. Higher ATM withdrawal limits, enhanced customer service… what you mean is ‘no benefit to me’.

I know a fair few people who have had Premier accounts and either have Blue Rewards (from the days it would earn a few quid a month) or no incentive package.

rum 275 posts

There are benefits to having the account on its own. Higher ATM withdrawal limits, enhanced customer service… what you mean is ‘no benefit to me’.

I know a fair few people who have had Premier accounts and either have Blue Rewards (from the days it would earn a few quid a month) or no incentive package.

Lol, “enhanced customer service”?
    Are we talking about the same company here? Do you even read what others are saying on these very forums here? The consensus seems to me that their customer service is non existent and no different to customer banging their heads on a brick wall.

WillPS 194 posts

Lol, “enhanced customer service”?
    Are we talking about the same company here? Do you even read what others are saying on these very forums here? The consensus seems to me that their customer service is non existent and no different to customer banging their heads on a brick wall.

Again, you’re reading something different to what’s written.

Enhanced means better than you’d otherwise get (without a Premier account). It doesn’t mean objectively great.

rum 275 posts

Thanks for the feedback all. I wonder if swapping to a platinum then opens up Avios Plus after?

I’ve just realised that I’ve spent nearly £7k on a card I was trying not to use, so I’m now thinking I’ll make a dash for the £20k spend target and see what happens after a 12mth anniversary on this card in Sept.

Strange things happening.
    My Barclaycard anniversary came and went (for the free Avios card). Since then I have closed my current account and all of a sudden I have the option to choose the Avios Plus card again.
    I have no idea if the above events are related to the decision making algorithm but it’s a datapoint nonetheless which may be of use to others.

I’m inclined to upgrade from the autumn as I know I’ll have some big non-Amex expenditure coming up then.

Aston100 1,382 posts

Out of nowhere, I now have the ability to apply for the plus card.
    I last checked a month ago.
    This seems to be a little bit over 12 months since I downgraded to the free card.

I note it states a welcome bonus of 5k Avios if I spend £3k within 3 months.

So not quite the two years between bonuses I was expecting. On the other hand, the sign up bonus is quite weak.
    Think I’ll pass for now.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.