Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards Capital on Tap Using CoT abroad

• kt74 42 posts

Has anyone had any recent experiences of using CoT abroad? Normally it’s something I would have read up on, but, with what with a pandemic etc…!

Specifically:
    – what exchange rate is used? …is it Visa standard, and in which case, how does it compare with Mastercard and other fee-free options (e.g. Curve, Nationwide, Post Office etc)
    – what are the ATM fees like?
    – any issues with acceptance and declines?
    – any (mainstream) no-go countries? e.g. not that you can go there at the moment, but it doesn’t seem to be valid in Hong Kong, which feels like, ummm, an omission

TIA 🙂

supergraeme 128 posts

– Visa standard, sometimes a little better
    – Don’t know, I wouldn’t use it for that – I mistakenly tried once when drunk and luckily it declined
    – No, other than that one time above! And I’ve been all over with it
    – It’s worked everywhere I’ve tried it, which has been mainstream and non

Howard0181 33 posts

I used my Capital on Tap Card in Italy a few weeks ago and compared with a friend who was using the new Barclaycard (Amex) free card. It was two couples so we split several bills. Every bill the amount when converted to £ was identical.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.