Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards Other payment cards Using Curve for hotel payments

• dst87 264 posts

Are there any issues with using Curve when checking into a hotel? I have some sense that it could result in some strange combination of holds on the linked card or cause some other unforeseen issue – any experiences there?

Hoping to use my Barclaycard when on holiday at the end of the month and wasn’t sure if using at the hotel was wise.

Cranzle 272 posts

Are there any issues with using Curve when checking into a hotel? I have some sense that it could result in some strange combination of holds on the linked card or cause some other unforeseen issue – any experiences there?

Hoping to use my Barclaycard when on holiday at the end of the month and wasn’t sure if using at the hotel was wise.

Should be fine. It might be cleaner if you put the hold amount on Amex (or another card), and then at check out pay the full amount using Curve.

dst87 264 posts

Ah, yeah that’s not a bad idea. Thanks!

zio 249 posts

I’m in the US at the moment and using Curve metal + Avios Barclaycard.
    Absolutely no issues with hotels … I am staying in Hiltons and they apparently can’t tell Curve is not a credit card. Also working well in shops, restaurants and gas stations.
    The only outlier has been Hertz who could tell it was a debit card and therefore put a higher hold on it.

John 1,000 posts

Curve literally says debit on it – don’t they want to see the actual card in the US?

Curve used to have a problem with transactions indefinitely showing as pending and then an incorrect “refund” later but it was fixed and now the preauth amount gets replaced with the final correct amount.

zio 249 posts

All my DPs are from Hiltons. Only one out of 7 so far has wanted to see the card at check-in, and they didn’t remark on it being a debit card. To be fair, on the metal card the word debit only appears on the hologram on the back (covered by your thumb when you hold it) so it isn’t completely obvious.

The “issue”, if I can call it that, seems to be that the Hilton website thinks Curve is a cc. Reception are just asking if I want to use the card on file and no, they are not asking to see it.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.