Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards Barclaycard Avios Using Curve to pay off Barclays card?

• Jan M 58 posts

I get an error message when I try to pay off my Barclays Avios card with my Curve card, saying they only accept UK debit cards. I can’t even get to the second page where you enter your CVV, so it must deduce this from the 16 digit code. Does anyone else get this or am I just unlucky?

NorthernLass 7,532 posts

I think Barclays blocked Curve some time ago, a lot of financial institutions don’t like it.

Harrier25 852 posts

I have no idea why anyone would want to pay Curve £150 a year for MS benefits that are reducing at an astounding rate!

Toaster 104 posts

I’d say the MS benefits are reducing gradually rather than astoundingly.

Eight months in the Metal card has paid for itself and I’m £250 up and should have further £200 by the end of the 12 months.

For maybe 15 minutes of extra banking admin per month it’s worth it to me.

Sprout 31 posts

I have no idea why anyone would want to pay Curve £150 a year for MS benefits that are reducing at an astounding rate!

I have no idea why anybody wouldn’t want to. Annual costs covered in month 1 = 11 months pure profit! No brainer.

NorthernLass 7,532 posts

@Harrier25, the blockage is only in 1 direction …

Rui N. 831 posts

How do you need to spam all Curve topics with the same stuff?
    Barclays has blocked Curve payments even before Metal existed, so what you said is totally irrelevant for this conversation.

Harrier25 852 posts

How do you need to spam all Curve topics with the same stuff?

First time I have raised this, so you must be getting me confused with somebody else. With all due respect, I’m not spamming, just putting forward a point of view, just as you are.

I do have Curve Black Legacy which allows me to make cash withdrawals and has unlimited FX spend for free. If I upgrade, there will be no way back, and the basic free card is not as good as I currently have based just on the FX spend.

NorthernLass 7,532 posts

It’s a fair point, as the very long Virgin thread shows! Only time will show if it was the right decision.

Rui N. 831 posts

If he wants to raise the point he can raise it in a proper thread, no need for off topic that is completely irrelevant to this thread. (And this is one of the many reasons we need proper moderators, of course.)

Harrier25 852 posts

If he wants to raise the point he can raise it in a proper thread, no need for off topic that is completely irrelevant to this thread. (And this is one of the many reasons we need proper moderators, of course.)

🙄

The Urbanite 117 posts

A few years ago Barclaycard sent out a letter stating they would no longer accept Curve for account payments. Looks like the policy has remained in place.

To get around this, why not just top up a different card account with Curve and use that to pay off Barclaycard using the card or bank transfer? Revolut is still accepting debit cards for loading right?

Harrier25 852 posts

It is, but @Reney reported at the start of July topping up Revolut with Curve Metal as a test and was closed down a few days later.

Jan M 58 posts

A few years ago Barclaycard sent out a letter stating they would no longer accept Curve for account payments. Looks like the policy has remained in place.

To get around this, why not just top up a different card account with Curve and use that to pay off Barclaycard using the card or bank transfer? Revolut is still accepting debit cards for loading right?

Thanks! Only asked because I was wondering if Curve would let me use my Chase account with its 1% cashback to pay off the balance (and double dip the rewards). Cheeky but guess we’ll never know.

I only have the free Curve version, but it’s getting pretty pointless when you’re only allowed two cards.

Harrier25 852 posts

😂 That’ll teach us all to just assume that @Jan M was with Curve Metal 🤣 Fan-tastic. That’s made my day!

The answer is definitely No! Chase will not pay you 1% if you pay off a credit card with free Curve.

Harrier25 852 posts

The Urbanite 117 posts

Thanks! Only asked because I was wondering if Curve would let me use my Chase account with its 1% cashback to pay off the balance (and double dip the rewards). Cheeky but guess we’ll never know.

I only have the free Curve version, but it’s getting pretty pointless when you’re only allowed two cards.

Chase have got all the mainstream MS routes sussed, the list of merchant types excluded from the rewards scheme is extensive and does include prepaid card loads!

Shaba 12 posts

Eight months in the Metal card has paid for itself and I’m £250 up and should have further £200 by the end of the 12 months.

Would you be able to point me in the right direction to find out the basics of MS with curve? I’d like to get the curve metal card in general for spending abroad, but the cost doesn’t justify itself just for that.

Toaster 104 posts

Would you be able to point me in the right direction to find out the basics of MS with curve? I’d like to get the curve metal card in general for spending abroad, but the cost doesn’t justify itself just for that.

Read/search through old posts and chat on hfp.

NorthernLass 7,532 posts

Is the monthly netal limit per calendar month or a rolling 30 days, I’ve seen both claimed?

Carlos 758 posts

Is the monthly netal limit per calendar month or a rolling 30 days, I’ve seen both claimed?

Calendar month

NorthernLass 7,532 posts

Thanks – good, then, as tomorrow is a new month!

Dudulle 47 posts

While it is per calendar month, Curve’s calendar month does not start at midnight. Not sure exactly when it resets but support will refund the fees if you make a payment too early.

VinZ 142 posts

I have no idea why anybody wouldn’t want to. Annual costs covered in month 1 = 11 months pure profit! No brainer.

I’d be interested to know how you make this profit? I’m genuinely asking as I don’t see the benefit of having my curve basic other than free cash withdrawals on cc.

NorthernLass 7,532 posts

While it is per calendar month, Curve’s calendar month does not start at midnight. Not sure exactly when it resets but support will refund the fees if you make a payment too early.

Just as a DP then, I made 2 payments between 6 – 6.30 am today and haven’t been charged for either of them.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.