Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Other Destination advice Very early flight out of Istanbul (IST), what are my options?

• EDB99 32 posts

In late February, I will fly IST-FRA-MAN on Lufthansa, departing early in the morning at 6:55.

It seems to me the Yotel is the only true airport hotel open at this stage. Unfortunately, it is GBP 140 on the night in question, that’s above my budget.

Another hotel, the Park Inn Istanbul Airport, Odayeri, seems actually quite some distance from the airport. Their flex rate is GBP 113 which I also find steep given the poor location and typical hotel prices in Istanbul.

Quite unsure what are the best budget-friendly options.

Is it to book an extra night in my city center hotel (near Taksim) and take a taxi to the airport in the middle of the night?

Alternatively, I’m even thinking not booking an extra night and just taking my 4 PM late check-out. I could spending a few hours beyond that in Istanbul, then go to the airport using a late-night public transport option (perhaps leaving at 11 PM or at midnight). I’d essentially be spending the night in the lounge. I am Star Gold and also got a PP. It looks as if both the IGA Lounge as well as the TK Miles & Smiles Lounge are open 24/7.

What would you suggest? Btw, I’ve never been to Istanbul except for transfers at the old Ataturk airport.

John 1,000 posts

I had an overnight layover in IST at the old airport shortly before it closed, and slept/rested in the lounge along with many other people, it was fine.

The problem may be that you can’t check in / drop bags with Lufty at midnight – if that’s possible or no checked bags, I’d go to the airport after evening rush hour unless you really want to stay in the city until midnight

SamG 1,639 posts

Just get up and go to the airport in the morning – you can leave at 4.30am and make your flight easily and you’ll have still had a decent amount of sleep – prebook a transfer with someone like Safe Airport Transfers so you know it’s sorted. I believe John is right – you won’t be able to check in / get through security.

It is annoying that hotel options are still so lacking – there used to be quite a few options near the old airport including a 5000 point Hilton I used a couple of times

EDB99 32 posts

Thanks, John; thanks, SamG.

As you guys brought up the online check-in issue, I did a little research. I will be travelling hand-baggage only so the critical issue is whether digital document check is available (so that OLCI actually yields a BP).

From Lufty’s web site, it looks as if it is available on flights between Turkey and Germany as well as on flights between Germany and the UK. So getting to the lounge early might work (I’d assume it would have to be after midnight, though, as *A lounge access is same-day only).

The other thing I dug up is that I could book the Park Inn (which is like seven miles from IST) on points. With Radisson’s current promo, it would be 25.5k points which I find borderline acceptable.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.