Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Other Destination advice Vienna recommendations for things to do?

• Rhys
    HfP Staff
    190 posts

Off to Vienna tomorrow on my £1.79 Wizz flight (expect review soon…!) but does anyone have any recommendations for activities etc?
    Thank you in advance!

BulbousSquidge 4 posts

Off to Vienna tomorrow on my £1.79 Wizz flight (expect review soon…!) but does anyone have any recommendations for activities etc?
    Thank you in advance!

How long are you there for? A trip to the Schönbrunn Palace and grounds is a must, even if you’re not usually that keen on fancy houses. There’s a folly on the hill and you get a cracking view from there of the city (also from a vantage point in the zoo, also in the grounds, which are extensive and wonderful in their own right). And for food and drink, you can’t beat a good bier and schnitzel – although I don’t know what’s open right now!

• This reply was modified 54 years, 4 months ago by .
    Rhys
    HfP Staff
    190 posts

Just 2 nights, but I have Wednesday off. Staying at the Park Hyatt so looking forward to making the most of the Spa there too.

dst87 264 posts

++ for Schönbrunn. If you get the U-Bahn to Hietzing instead of Schönbrunn you can enjoy a lovely walk though the gardens towards the palace. We really enjoyed the visas from the Gloriette which is worth the short walk up hill from where the palace itself is.

I fell in love with the Käsekrainer sausages there (chopped sausage with flecks of cheese though it) which are available at various food stalls throughout Vienna. And if you’d like to try the traditional Sachertorte my husband and I agreed that the one from Demel was our favourite of those we tried (including the one from Hotel Sacher).

Have a lovely time!

meta 1,441 posts

Since you’re staying near Park Hyatt, I’d recommend Die Feinkosterei restaurant for modern take on Austrian food. It’s one of my favourite restaurants in Vienna. I actually don’t like Demel, mainly because the staff are very rude. Sacher is fine, but of all the cake shops I prefer Gerstner near the opera. They have great sour cherry/apple strudels.

NorthernLass 7,586 posts

Not haute cuisine but it’s fun to go on the giant ferris wheel at the Prater park (which has featured in several films), then eat at the Rollercoaster restaurant where the food is prepared and served by robotic arms!

Laura 11 posts

The Globe Museum is worth an hour or so, if you think you might be interested in that sort of thing. The same ticket gets you into the Esperanto museum which is also interesting.

If you go to Schonbrunn, the mazes in the garden are fun. I didn’t pay to go into the house as there was enough to see and do in the gardens.

Definitely go to one of the gorgeous coffee houses.

Rhys
    HfP Staff
    190 posts

Thanks for all the recommendations (and some from an Austrian friend) I ended up doing the following:
    – climbing St Stephan’s tower (wanted to do this on my interrail after A Levels but my friends refused – not hugely special by itself but not expensive and thought I would do it regardless!)
    – walked around a bit, towards the Hundertwasser house. To be honest, it is in need of a repaint and the pub on the first floor has installed some hideously tacky little statues. There are better Hundertwasser houses elsewhere
    – Went to Cafe Sperl on recommendation of the hotel – quieter, less touristy cafe absolutely delightful
    – Went into the Sisi Museum and Imperial apartments. Imperial apartments are fine but the Sisi museum I thought was a bit crap – I really struggled to get a single thread about her life, was a bit of an overload – whilst the gigantic collection of silverware is also a bit dull
    – Went to Schonebrunn – this I think is definitely worth it, and you can avoid the Hofburg. I went inside and up to the Gloriette – gardens are a bit barren in winter but still beautiful on a sunny day
    – Went to Rheinthaler’s Beisl, which was a fantastic, authentic sort of gasthof. Basic but delightful

I also made prolific use of the Park Hyatt’s phenomenal spa…

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.