Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Other Flight changes and cancellations help Virgin asking for power of attorney to consider claim

• Ash 620 posts

Is this normal?

Back story – I purchased virgin flights for my wife and .mother in law, to Tobago with connection in Barbados. (All on single ticket), paid for on my Virgin personal credit card. I did not fly.

Personal holiday not a business trip, not paid for by a business. Why I mention this will become clear later

Virgin flight departing Heathrow was delayed +3hrs due to faulty de-icing equipment. Delays resulted in wife and mother in law missing their connecting flight and loss of 2 days of their Tobago holiday – lost Tobago hotel nights were non refundable.

As the ticket purchaser I applied for EU claim. After two emails of asking for e-ticket numbers etc I received the emailed below.

Any advice on how to steer the claim through greatly appreciated….

In order for us to verify and proceed with this claim, we require the following information to be returned to us.

A signed Letter of consent or power of attorney from the lead claimant, authorising your organisation to act on their behalf which states clearly and explicitly that any compensation payment they may be eligible to receive is to be paid straight into the bank account of your company, and not directly to them individually.
    If there are multiple PNRs or reference numbers, we will need this for the lead passenger for each reference.

Verification of signature for the lead claimant. If there are multiple PNRs or reference numbers, we will require the signatures of lead passengers for each individual reference (This can be a copy of a passport or driving licence signature page).

Lead claimants address, for passengers under the age of 18 an additional letter of consent should also be completed for each passenger under the age of 18 years and signed by a parent and/or legal guardian).

Please reply to this email attaching the above information as scanned documents (pdf, jpeg, doc accepted)

If the claim is eligible for EC/EU compensation, payment will be made by electronic bank transfer to your business bank account for subsequent disbursement to our customers.

We will respond within 28 working days from the date we receive the information requested above. If the claim is eligible for a compensation payment, we will ask for your bank details via a secure weblink, please do not send us any bank details outside of this link.

dougzz99 631 posts

Why don’t the passengers claim themselves, 261 protects the passenger not the person buying the ticket. Consequential loss like hotels is a matter for insurance as I understand it.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.