Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Other Destination advice Washington DC and Seattle things to do/see?

• Man of Kent 67 posts

It’s been a while since we went to Washington DC but there is loads to do and see there and you could easily spend a couple of weeks there. We were in Seattle in October last year which was good for a couple of days sightseeing. We haven’t been to any US cities post-Covid so not sure how the East Coast Cities are fairing but Seattle was the first US city that we felt we wouldn’t rush back to. There was a lot of homelessness and open drug taking on the streets and a number of shops and restaurants are boarded up – the State and Federal Governments just don’t seem to have a solution. It seemed like there just weren’t many people there – we were in the Financial / Business district and there just wasn’t the buzz of people coming out to coffee / sandwich shops that you get in other cities – I guess most people are WFH there still.

Despite this we walked everywhere during the day and felt safe and we weren’t approached by anyone. We stayed on Bainbridge Island and took the ferry into the city so we weren’t there at night. As mentioned by @davefl the Chihuly Garden and Glass Exhibit was the highlight for us. The Space Needle wasn’t crowded at all and we went straight to the top. The Museum of Pop Culture is near the Space Needle but was closed the day we were there – so check opening times before you go as it was previously open every day – a victim of the post-covid slump I guess.

If you get over to Bainbridge Island worth seeking out Pia the Peacekeeper Troll by Thomas Dambo. https://thomasdambo.com/

MattB 261 posts

We flew to Seattle in 2019 for our 1st First on a 747. We were in row 2 and the guy in front of me had quite a distinctive look but i couldn’t place why i recognised him. Anyway my wife was talking to his and mentioned we were staying by the space needle for a few days then flying to Vegas, and she said ‘you need to visit the glass garden opposite your hotel, the same guy also did the Bellagio foyer display’.

We had one of those City passes so went into the museum and Whose picture do we see on the wall as you walk in, Dale Chihuly the chap sitting in front of me!

The city pass got us into the space needle, MoPOP, the Garden and Glass, the aquarium and a harbour tour (which was freezing in April). I thought it reasonable value at the time.

TooPoorToBeHere 238 posts

The issue with the White House tour, at least, is that you need to have a representative from your own embassy present and as of late 2022 the UK wasn’t prepared to provide one.

Yup – in fact they have a (long) canned email reply they use if you ask for it.

masaccio 723 posts

Surprised noboy has yet mentioned this https://www.chihulygardenandglass.com/about/exhibition

You can get combo tickets with the space needle.

Agreed. The one thing I’d make a detour back into Seattle for. I’ve enjoyed my visits, but Chihuly I could see again and again.

davefl 1,222 posts

@Massaccio I’m heading back to Seattle in June it’s one of the few things I’m not re-doing but only because I’ve seen so much of his stuff in the past 2 years. I will be heading to the Museum of Glass in Tacoma though as it was closed last time I was there.

OT for this thread but if anyone is near Naples in Florida, the Baker museum has a “Chihuly ceiling” just like the one in Seattle. It was so quiet there in Dec that I could lie on the floor and just stare at it, not another person around. Also anyone heading to Key West, there’s a store on the main street that has replica/fake/repro Chihuly pieces for sale. I’ve never seen anything like it before.

AndyGWP 275 posts

Surprised noboy has yet mentioned this https://www.chihulygardenandglass.com/about/exhibition

ah, you know what – I hadn’t mentioned it because I thought it was in the other thread that I’d linked to… it wasn’t – which means there must be a third thread on Seattle kicking about, because that’s where I got the idea 🤔

AndyGWP 275 posts

Oh blimey – there is a third thread on Seattle – hadn’t realised it was one I had started though 😂 🤦🏻‍♂️

https://www.headforpoints.com/forums/topic/seattle-suggestions-advice-tips/

(and a 4th thread here too! https://www.headforpoints.com/forums/topic/pacific-north-west-seattle-vancouver/ )

Shazza12 49 posts

The tickets to go up the Washington Monument are released at 3pm UK time exactly 30 days before and go within minutes – I watched them disappear when booking at the weekend. Other tickets are released early each day, but apparently subject to very long queues.

Last summer we were spending one day in Washington, didn’t know about the 30 days. Tried every day and eventually got 2 (there were 3 of us). On the day before our visit managed to get another but for a different time. Thought we would have to split up to go at our specific times but security said as long as the ticket has the date – the time doesn’t really matter. Tip for anyone who can’t tickets for their party at one time.

Ant M 58 posts

Thats a great suggestion thanks – having watched Blown away on netflix recently, that looks like a definite to visit, and being by the space needle is nice and convenient

davefl 1,222 posts

@Ant M If you can time the garden for dusk/evening i would do so. Chihuy’s garden installations are better when they’re lit. Expect to spend at least an hour in the garden & indoor exhibit.

Man of Kent 67 posts

@Ant M If you can time the garden for dusk/evening i would do so. Chihuy’s garden installations are better when they’re lit. Expect to spend at least an hour in the garden & indoor exhibit.

Agreed – you can certainly spend more than an hour there. When we went in October they had some students there demonstrating glass blowing.

Ant M 58 posts

The tickets to go up the Washington Monument are released at 3pm UK time exactly 30 days before and go within minutes – I watched them disappear when booking at the weekend. Other tickets are released early each day, but apparently subject to very long queues.

Last summer we were spending one day in Washington, didn’t know about the 30 days. Tried every day and eventually got 2 (there were 3 of us). On the day before our visit managed to get another but for a different time. Thought we would have to split up to go at our specific times but security said as long as the ticket has the date – the time doesn’t really matter. Tip for anyone who can’t tickets for their party at one time.

I eventually managed to book for the date I wanted. It was a challenge as the website refused to recognise any U.K. phone number I used so I ended up using the phone number of the hotel I’ll be staying at and that let me register and book tickets.
    Thanks for the info about booking ahead – definitely useful.

Tariq 79 posts

Agreed, we only went because it was included in the space needle admission and really enjoyed it. Another vote for the Museum of Flight, it’s my favourite. The Boeing tour was great in its hey day, but when I went last year it’s just a video seminar rather than an actual tour in the assembly building.

Udver Hazy is a must visit in my view – dead easy on the way to IAD if you have a car rental.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.