Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards American Express What happens after I gain 90k points for referrals?

• goldengirl22 45 posts

Hello,

I have recently referred my entire friend group for an Amex Gold each so we can all enjoy lounges on our next trip together. This means I have so far earned 70k in referral points, leaving my only 20k (less than two referrals) to play with this entire calendar year! Once I hit the 90k, I assume I just won’t get any referral points? Can I take out another Amex points kind (E.g. the basic, free card) and gain referral points on there instead or would the fact I’ve already accumulated 90k on my Amex Gold stop me?

Thank you in advance.

yonasl 952 posts

I hope you don’t plan on using all those lounge passes at once. There is usually no space for priority pass holders 🤷.

BuildBackBetter 705 posts

After 90k MR, you can eat more referral bonuses only in another currency (Amex rewards currency). This means the British airways cards or nectar or Marriott bonvoy cards.

goldengirl22 45 posts

Thanks Yonasl! We’ve booked our lounge access already to be on the safe side but we’re also flying out early. I’ve never had an issue before either which is very lucky for me, I guess?

goldengirl22 45 posts

After 90k MR, you can eat more referral bonuses only in another currency (Amex rewards currency). This means the British airways cards or nectar or Marriott bonvoy cards.

Ah damn. I thought as much. I don’t know how I feel about committing to Avios when I may not use them (never flown BA before, only flying Qatar for the first time now), and we don’t have a Sainsbury’s nearby. I’m not quite sure what to do lol. I don’t want to waste my referral bonuses but I also don’t want to put them somewhere I won’t use them.

goldengirl22 45 posts

You can earn up to a maximum of 90,000 Avios, Membership Rewards®, Nectar points or bonus points per calendar year.

Just saw this on the Amex sight when looking at the details for getting a BA card. Looks like I’m out of luck either way. Ah if only I had thought about it beforehand and referred them in December instead of January!

aq.1988 456 posts

You can earn up to a maximum of 90,000 Avios, Membership Rewards®, Nectar points or bonus points per calendar year.

Just saw this on the Amex sight when looking at the details for getting a BA card. Looks like I’m out of luck either way. Ah if only I had thought about it beforehand and referred them in December instead of January!

You are limited to 90k per currency. You can get, in theory, 90k MR and 90k avios in referrals per year. You can take a BA card, and refer your friends, and they can take any card, including the Gold, and you will get your referrals in Avios.

goldengirl22 45 posts

You are limited to 90k per currency. You can get, in theory, 90k MR and 90k avios in referrals per year. You can take a BA card, and refer your friends, and they can take any card, including the Gold, and you will get your referrals in Avios.

Really? Is that the norm? The Amex website makes it sound like it’s 90k MR OR Avios OR Nectar, not 90k MR AND 90k Avios AND 90k Nectar.

aq.1988 456 posts

Really? Is that the norm? The Amex website makes it sound like it’s 90k MR OR Avios OR Nectar, not 90k MR AND 90k Avios AND 90k Nectar.

Yes, that’s how it works. I agree the wording isn’t the clearest, but you just have to make sure you generate the referral from the right card.

There’s a couple of great offers on the BA cards atm, just have to go direct to the BA website, as their offers are better than anything you would get with a referral.

goldengirl22 45 posts

Yes, that’s how it works. I agree the wording isn’t the clearest, but you just have to make sure you generate the referral from the right card.

There’s a couple of great offers on the BA cards atm, just have to go direct to the BA website, as their offers are better than anything you would get with a referral.

Cheers! I’ll have a look into it and give it a go. MR is better than Avios is better than nothing.

Rob
    HfP Staff
    2,199 posts

It is definitely 90k per currency per year.

alig4th 322 posts

In the past (talking 2 years ago here) I had 90k MR on Plat and then was able to get another two referrals on Gold MR. I hadn’t realised it was meant to be currency-specific at the time. Can only think that I got both was because AMEX hadn’t linked my MR accounts behind the scenes automatically (do they ever?), so the system “didn’t know” I’d already maxed out the currency.

My ignorance and AMEX’s bad IT were my gains. Not sure if this particular quirk has been fixed in the interim, though?

goldengirl22 45 posts

Thanks, Rob. I will likely apply for the BA Amex in the interim perhaps. I’ll see how long it takes to max out my referral 90k MR first (likely only can feel on two more referrals).

In the past (talking 2 years ago here) I had 90k MR on Plat and then was able to get another two referrals on Gold MR. I hadn’t realised it was meant to be currency-specific at the time. Can only think that I got both was because AMEX hadn’t linked my MR accounts behind the scenes automatically (do they ever?), so the system “didn’t know” I’d already maxed out the currency.

My ignorance and AMEX’s bad IT were my gains. Not sure if this particular quirk has been fixed in the interim, though?

Oh that is interesting as I was planning on getting a basic MR card before cancelling my Gold card as it was. If they haven’t fixed this, that would work in my benefit.

Rob
    HfP Staff
    2,199 posts

It’s not an IT error. The rule as Amex applies it is ’90k per MR account’. If Amex mistakenly sets up a new MR account for your 2nd MR-earning card, you’d get another annual 90k allowance on it.

alig4th 322 posts

Fair. Should have said AMEX’s bad admin rather than blaming it on the IT (although I’d assume the IT would be some way involved in determining if an account already exists and then sets up a new one)

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.