Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards American Express When will Amex sort out their cashback issues?

• DTR 105 posts

I’ve almost given up on them as I now deem them to be completely unreliable. I’ve not had one successfully post for weeks now and have had to chase for:
    – upper crust £10
    – Ritazza £10
    – John Lewis optician £20
    – even Gold Deliveroo credits are no longer working

I’m not sure the money is worth my time on the phone to Brighton to get the payments sorted

WHAT is going on?

Of course chat reps repeat the usual 90 days, but in reality I’ve never had something automatically post that didn’t show up in the first 2-3 weeks

I want to use the HN offer on platinum, but I’m not going to keep my card for 4 extra months just to get the credit!

What are we to do?

JDB 4,378 posts

It seems to be a very basic but very effective mechanism to delay the cancelling of cards, so I doubt it will change any time soon. At £1.57/day for the Plat card it’s an interesting dilemma/race.

Andrew J 769 posts

The offers now feel like a lottery – “your chance to win” should be the way they are advertised – you might get the credit you might not, but certainly don’t build them into buying decisions anymore.

Jonathans 121 posts

It’s not just cashback. I’m waiting for the avios from adding a supplementary card to my BAPP. Hasn’t posted (had the second card 3 weeks) and I’m told to wait the 90 days.

Had a 10k avios retention offer last year for spending £3k. Hit that within a week, points again took about 89 days to appear.

It definitely feels like they are stretching out things.

John 1,000 posts

No problems here. Did the first two happen to be in train stations, these often don’t credit properly.

Reeferman 35 posts

Same experience for me with a Marks Electrical purchase.
    A cashback in excess of £100 is owed for an end-Feb purchase. I was concerned as I didn’t get the standard “you’ve used your offer” message – but Chat said to wait 90 days.
    We shall see!

Cranzle 272 posts

It seems to be a very basic but very effective mechanism to delay the cancelling of cards, so I doubt it will change any time soon. At £1.57/day for the Plat card it’s an interesting dilemma/race.

People on here have commented that cashback is being posted after account closures.

RonnieB 288 posts

Got my Harvey Nics refund yesterday after about 6 weeks

JDB 4,378 posts

People on here have commented that cashback is being posted after account closures.

I wouldn’t want to count on that! I don’t think what you say is the usual experience and the Amex general offer terms are quite specific:- “If your Card is suspended or cancelled, we will not award statement credits or points to you, even if you have met the offer spend conditions.

Blindman67 135 posts

I’m still waiting for about 10x Morrisons 10% cashback

Rang last week and “she would look into it”

Still waiting.

Charles Martel 124 posts

Interesting, I did wonder if the delays were a sly retention strategy – if I have £50 of cashback pending do I cancel my £20 a month card or wait it out, would it slow the rate cancellation?

SteC 34 posts

I was on the chat last night chasing up my Harvey Nics credit and they said its all tracked properly, when i asked about why its taking so long they blamed it on the merchant (which i doubt)

can 506 posts

I started to keep track of them very closely, too. It was not this bad, they all used to arrive at my account within a forthnight. When I rang them they parroted the same “90 day” period. I am waiting for many Morrisons and J Lewis.
    And yes, you get the cash back, even if the account is closed, not “when”.

blue_wolf 28 posts

Was waiting 2-3 weeks for a number of LNER cashback offers to come through – and they all suddenly appeared in a flurry yesterday.

Harrier25 852 posts

Was waiting 2-3 weeks for a number of LNER cashback offers to come through – and they all suddenly appeared in a flurry yesterday.

Mine did too!

PeteM 709 posts

No problems here. Did the first two happen to be in train stations, these often don’t credit properly.

They HAD to be in railway stations – the offer was for SSP units only 🙂 Took around 4 weeks for those to come through for me.

rum 275 posts

Mine did too!

I’ve said before that amex are clearing the backlog in batches.

My theory is this is happening on the first Tuesday of each month, possibly another day towards the end of the month. But I need more data points to prove/disprove my theory.

Rob
    HfP Staff
    2,198 posts

Still missing a Gett for 3 weeks ago …. LNER has caught up now.

NorthernLass 7,569 posts

When did the IHG £50 offer appear? I was sure my Indigo Stratford stay 4 weeks ago would qualify but nothing yet.

*Actually might have just missed that one, the HFP article on it was March 19th!

• This reply was modified 54 years, 4 months ago by .
    chrischris2202 29 posts

Reopening this old threat as I was having lovely conversations with their reps the past few weeks.
    Seems like I actually need to set calendar reminders nowadays for 150 days so I don’t forget I’m still eligible for some cashbacks..

Andrew J 769 posts

And the dining credits on Platinum got off to a good start with a U.K. one and an abroad one crediting within a couple of days, now I’m waiting over 2 weeks for another one. Selfridges I’m waiting for. Harrods I’m waiting for. It’s very boring.

Maples 190 posts

Regarding the £5 Deliveroo credit, my one from end of April didn’t track (just one of them) and I contacted them. They said I was eligible to have gotten the credit and showed me the dates of the Deliveroo transaction that were posted. The one from end of April wasn’t there so I asked about it and they said they’ll check and after a few minutes, they came back to say there was a problem with the system and it didn’t properly allocate the £5. I was credited it a few days after being told they would allocate it.

alig4th 322 posts

I’ve said this on another thread; best thing to do I’ve found is to wait for 90+1 days, contact via chat, get the credit/bonus points, then (if you’ve got the energy) quote a breach of T&C where it says 90 days “in rare circumstances” (obviously that’s a joke, it’s anything but “rare” nowadays), then really push for some form of compensation or “good will gesture”. Amongst my family we’ve got:
    – Additional 2000 MR points on Platinum for delayed supp card [on chat, probably could’ve got more on the phone]
    – Additional 5000 Marriott points on delayed supp card (was originally told on Chat they don’t do goodwill, pushed for supervisor who offered a goodwill of 300 Marriott points. Said I was insulted by £1-value offer, and pointed out that the last rep lied to me about not doing goodwill as I was now being offered goodwill! Raised offer to 1000 Marriott. Again rejected. Called and got 5000)
    – Addiitional 3000 MR on Gold for delayed Supp (phone)
    – Additional 5000 Nectar for delayed supp (phone).

Also, my dad just asked on Chat outright if this was a deliberate move by Amex to get out of giving points hoping people forget and don’t chase, and was told generally it updated automatically. He asked how can an automated process “fail” so often (because the whole extended family have had multiple issues, and the forums are alive with examples of issues), and he was told “sometime automated servers also get weaken”. I genuinely don’t know what that means… can servers get “weakened” so much that a raft of automated processes stop working?

Andrew J 769 posts

I think Amex are on particularly dodgy ground with the dining credit – they are telling their customers that they have £150 to spend in U.K. restaurants as part of the membership package, but in reality they mean you have to pay for the meal out of your own pocket and the in 3 months time, if they can be bothered and possibly with some chasing for you, they’ll pay you back.

lordy 51 posts

My Covent Garden & BP have landed late last week, but im still awaiting one paypal.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.