Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards American Express Which card for long term?

• BuildBackBetter 705 posts

If you have or can apply for Amex gold, BAPP, Barclays Avios+ and Virgin Reward+, which ones would you keep for long term?

My plan was to always keep the Virgin card and BAPP, but the Amex gold changes and Barclaycard have made the decision difficult.

We do use the Deliveroo credits and the Amex 2-4-1 vouchers are important. But keeping them restricts the ability to get SUB later.

Reney 766 posts

I would rotate through the cards (if start from fresh) nectar > amex Bapp > amex plat (can swap place with bapp) > barclays avios > virgin keep the last one until it has been 2 years since you closed the last amex but remember no pro rata refund on annual fee > nectar > bapp > amex plat (keep until it has been 2 years since you closed the barclays card and approved for the card) > barclays card (keep until you requalify for the virgin card SUB and approved) > virgin etc etc

throw in the Hsbc card if qualify for it

I value amex offer so would keep the nectar card and rotate that with the plat cashback to avoid nectar annual feee.

I think the SUB trumps deliveroo but I don’t use deliveroo as it costs more than just eat for me. You should look into buy deliveroo gift card via monese.

This plans lack lounge access, at the moment one of my players is keeping Plat as the sums work for us.

memesweeper 1,255 posts

If you have the Barclays Hilton, I’d keep that, coupled with Curve. Very useful.

If you do not have the Barclays Hilton, I’d be taking out one of the Barclays Avios cards as a “keeper”. Doesn’t map onto Curve quiet as nicely though, and I have the Hilton card, so I’m not taking out a Barclays Avios.

Having an Amex — any Amex — is also great for offers. Green or ARCC are low-cost options for long-term holding.

BJ 657 posts

None of those … because they all limit maximisation of SUBs if held long term! The answer is Amex Nectar … because it allows you to follow a strategy to maximuse SUB on all the more lucrative cards. Furthermore, it is a decent avios-earning card for £24pa, gives alternative option of cash via Sainsbury’s spend if/when desired, provides access to amex offers (excluding Morrisons) even during periods without other amex cards, and allows for ongoing amex refer a friend, albeit not lucrative ones, when not holding other amex.

memesweeper 1,255 posts

None of those … because they all limit maximisation of SUBs if held long term! The answer is Amex Nectar … because it allows you to follow a strategy to maximuse SUB on all the more lucrative cards.

Interesting thinking. I’d assumed @BuildBackBetter wanted to avoid churning/SUBs hence looking for a long-term card. If you want a long-term card and the option to keep gaining/loosing various Amex, HSBC, and Barclaycards then @BJ is onto something, Amex Nectar is probably the “least bad” card to hold long term.

BJ 657 posts

@memesweeper, no reason to avoid churning unless @BBB/others cannot be bothered. The rules allow it so hopefully @JDB will not be too harsg on us for discussing it 🙂

Harrier25 852 posts

None of those … because they all limit maximisation of SUBs if held long term! The answer is Amex Nectar … because it allows you to follow a strategy to maximuse SUB on all the more lucrative cards. Furthermore, it is a decent avios-earning card for £24pa, gives alternative option of cash via Sainsbury’s spend if/when desired, provides access to amex offers (excluding Morrisons) even during periods without other amex cards, and allows for ongoing amex refer a friend, albeit not lucrative ones, when not holding other amex.

Okay, so if you only hold Amex Nectar for 2 years does that allow you the sign up bonus on MR cards again after a 2 year break, such as PRG?

SteveJ 979 posts

Okay, so if you only hold Amex Nectar for 2 years does that allow you the sign up bonus on MR cards again after a 2 year break, such as PRG?

Only qualify for BAPP and Platinum Charge SUBs.

BJ 657 posts

Only qualify for BAPP and Platinum Charge SUBs.

Correct; those two are what I meant by most lucrative cards. Holding the PRG itself throws a spanner in the works. The other option is Amex Marriott but Bonvoy is in a state of uncertain flux as it evolves to full revenue-based redemptions. It also costs £75pa IIRC. The choice between Nectar amd Bonvoy will depend on relative importance holder attaches to avios and cash versus Marriott points and EQN or other airline miles. However, if desired one could hold both long term and still benefit from Platinum and BAPP SUB on two year cycle. For the non amex cards it is simpler, holding any of those long term obviously prevents us churning it. For clarity, I am in no way suggesting that amex Gold is not a good card to hold long term, if one cannot br bothered with SUB strategies then Gold is clearly a great long term option if used wisely.

polly 289 posts

Yep, ages ago @Genghis advised me to hold the nectar card for the 2 yr drought, if ness. And @BJ, we discussed it also… Maybe have a Bonvoy too. But Gold does scupper it. Mind you, the referral bonus that increases to between 12k and 18k now and again is helping. About to cancel our golds atm, but holding on to Bonvoy, l think for now..got hsbc WE atm too, so when we maybe ?lose BA Silver end September, we at least still have Loungekey.

@Reney
    , btw, WE fees refunded, but fully expect them to be charged back again x 3 times in the next 6 mths, as per before.

BuildBackBetter 705 posts

btw, WE fees refunded, but fully expect them to be charged back again x 3 times in the next 6 mths, as per before.

Was it recently that your annual fee was refunded?

BJ 657 posts

@ Polly, so long as nothing much changes with either card and associated schemes I think the case for holding both amex Nectar and Marriott cards long-term is very compelling. They not only maximise SUB churning opportunity but cover most of the key loyalty needs. Nectar gets avios or ‘cash’ while Marriott gets Bonvoy points and status, and around 30 optional miles schenes. With amex offers, Nectar misses the Morrisons offer but Marriott doesn’t while Marriott misses other hotel offers but Nectar doesn’t. Even very sparing use of an amex Morrisons or hotel offers quickly wipes out the card fees.

danstravel 31 posts

It would be really good to get a new and/or perhaps an updated article on this @Rob.

The credit card/miles landscape has changed so much in the last 12 months with new product launches (Barclaycard) changes to existing products (Virgin allowing Reward Redemption with no status/BAPP Free and Paid card Companion Voucher changes and the BAPP Companion Voucher allowing a solo discount)

So having an article that answers: which long term card is best for a solo traveller/couple and for maximising SUBs etc would be really beneficial I feel.

The new Gold card changes changes the equation massively (for me at least) on what was one of the ‘keepers’ in the Amex’s product line as 1.66MR per £ spent was not beaten anywhere for day to day spend. This means that for me, by October, I will most likely be dumping the Gold card and keeping the Marriot as my main Amex and reapplying in 2 years time for the SUB.

Harrier25 852 posts

If you keep Marriott, from what I understand, I don’t think that you’ll qualify for the SUB on Gold in 2 years time.

danstravel 31 posts

@Harrier25 – Good point – I’d have to go for Platinum.

polly 289 posts

@ BBB, yes this fee refund was promised last year as a result of loads of hassle from hsbc. So yes, this was the fee applied in May. In error. Now just waiting for an uplift BA avios transfer from hsbc.

@BJ
    , yes, with you on that plan too…. Nectar and Bonvoy ongoing. Really do get good offers on our Bonvoy which, as you say, wipes out the fee. The W in Sentosa last Nov was such a treat after the farce l went through in Singapore. We will be aiming to get there on points once a year now. The staff there were fabulous. And we still think their breakfasts were the best we ever experienced!

rahaney 44 posts

I too have followed this thread closely, it’s good to see some of the knowledgable & long-standing community members popping up again!

I definitely miss trawling through the daily chat thread for some of the finer nuggets especially since the U.K. market has changed quite a bit recently with more limitations and higher fees so any bones thrown gratefully received!

rahaney 44 posts

Can I double check also that you can use a Nectar or Marriott to pay for the taxes when you use a 2-4-1 voucher? I know it can be any Amex rather than just a ba one but do either of the above qualify? Anyone done it?
    Ta

NorthernLass 7,584 posts

Yes, any Amex. The Lloyds one worked as well before it was withdrawn!

aq.1988 456 posts

Hi, if you go for the Amex gold, I have a great referral offer – 34K MR for £3k spend in 3 months.

Not sure if links are allowed but here it is below:

Apply here

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.