Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Frequent flyer programs British Airways Executive Club Why don’t BA sell dynamic pricing reward tickets?

• executiveclubber 275 posts

Inspired by the recent bait and switch leap in taxes, I’m curious from a business perspective why BA don’t go down American Airlines’ route of offering dynamically priced reward tickets. The current system often leads to fantastic value on last-minute shorthaul redemptions — but why would BA do this?

Sorry if the very thought raises your blood pressure 😄

BA Flyer IHG Stayer 2,092 posts

Don’t give them ideas though they probably have thought about it already.

The current system has a simplicity and a constancy about it that dynamic pricing doesn’t and that’s an appealing feature.

memesweeper 1,258 posts

Cost of implementation vs future benefit ?

The benefit is slim if your frequent flyers hate you

Last-minute fixed price Avios seats are still only really “bought” by leisure travellers, leaving sky high cash prices for business passengers and non-loyalists. Seems like a smart business move to me.

BBbetter 649 posts

They already do in a limited way using peak and off peak redemptions.
    If it’s full fledged revenue based, people will lose interest and stop buying avios.

Ihar 129 posts

The business is very complex. Load factor is only one element. Plus USA short-haul is very different from UK/EU short-haul.

BA knows what an Avios is worth. What a reward flight is worth for customer loyalty. How you got your Avios. Probably know where and when you’re going to next before you do. And who with 😉

Basically what Amazon do!!!!

Jon 268 posts

I’d be interested to know whether there’s any research/data out there about the business impact switching to revenue-based redemptions has made, for those airlines that have done it, eg on things like top-tier FFP membership retention, loyalty scheme value/profitability/effectiveness, volume and type of redemptions made, etc etc.

Over at Malaysia Airlines for example, my sense is that it has been an absolute disaster, at least from a customer perspective. Eg business class redemptions between KUL and LHR are now regularly in the 300-500k points ballpark – one way! – while earning rates have dropped significantly. And while they do intermittently offer fixed-price “Saver” redemptions, they recently made an unannounced and still-not-communicated massive devaluation to those. Unsurprisingly there’s plenty of dissatisfaction around, and anecdotally they’re haemorrhaging top-tier members. Their strategy, such as it is, appears to be to destroy long-term loyalty and whatever value was left in the FFP and turn it into a “lifestyle programme”. I hope it’s working well for the business (though I suspect it’s not) because it certainly isn’t working for us the customers.

I very much hope BA doesn’t follow suit!

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.